Saturday, June 27, 2009

I did it!!

I talked to the neighbor- yes, I have been dreading doing this. Yes, I hoped I could avoid it all together but the dear Lord arranged it all and the opportunity was there, so I did it!

She called on Friday morning and left a pleasant message concerned the girls. I called her back that evening and let her know that with Sarah only being home 6 months we needed to keep her close to us. I had misjudged the time it takes for an older adoptee to adjust to so many new situations and that this process would take us years. I shared the new rules with her and she seemed to completely understand. It felt good to be an advocate for our daughter. It felt good to know I was doing the right thing. I am thankful to God the he gave us exactly the right opportunity and the courage to do it. I could feel his presence and I knew even if it was not received well- that would be just "too bad" because we are not changing our minds. It is what is best for our daughter and for our family.

I also have to say that I said I was "advised by my support group"- that would be you dear bloggy friends! Thank you for your words of wisdom, support and prayers!

If you have joined us late- This post is in response to my June 20th post- "Any thoughts on this one??" 

Thank you Jesus!


Jill said...

Yes, Thank you Jesus!
Great job mom!!

Lori said...

Good for you!!! Whew, you must feel so relieved!! But be prepared to KEEP at it...the neighbor may "forget" the things you told her.

You are a wonderful Mom!!

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

I give you lots of credit!


Laura L. said...

Yay, Jean! I'm so glad to hear about this.
Glad to be part of the support group. LOL!
Enjoy your Sunday.

Sally- That Girl! said...

Way to go!! Isn't that a great feeling when we advocate for our children because we truly believe it is the right thing to do? And then to have it well received just makes it even better.

I am so thankful we have one another to support each other in this wonderful world of adoption!

Jboo said...

Good for you! While I hate to make waves, sometimes that happens when I advocate for my daughter too. Recently had to ask the principal not to put my girl in the same classroom as another girl next year. I hated doing it, but knew it is for my girl's well-being. Have a great week!


Chris said...

can you e-mail me? I edit a small newsletter for adoptive/foster families. We put it out 4 times a year. This last time a family ask about adopting an older child, they are working with the foster system, but I still think your list would be great to share. Could I have your permission to reprint your post on attaching with an older child? I can remove identifying info or leave it stand.
I can also send you a copy of the last newsletter


Lori said...

Cogratulations - good work

a Tonggu Momma said...

Wow - great job advocating for her! And I loved your list from earlier in the week.

a Tonggu Momma said...

Also - e-mail me if you get a chance. tonggumomma(at)gmail(dot)com. :)