Tuesday, July 20, 2010

An Evening in the ER

We were all outside playing, riding bikes, scooters and getting wagon rides with big bro MArk. This was the first time he met his new sisters so everyone was excited! Ellie loves riding her bike and she is actually working hard to pedal it!

This time she got on it with out her helmet. Right away I let her know she needed to get it on. She smiled and shook her head no. I insisted and Mark walked over to her to help her put it on. She refused, shook her head no again, giggled and started to get silly. Then fell over on her bike and hit her cheek bone on the driveway. She seemed stunned and had a far away look in her eye. I thought she was holding back the tears but no realized she probably knocked herself out for a moment.

Little tears ran down her cheeks but it wasn't a full out cry. I comforted her- trying to show her that's what Mom's do and hoping to make her feel better. It didn't have much impact and she still had a far away look in her eyes. We decided that was enough of the outdoor play and we all went inside for snack. Ellie had a couple bites and then wanted to go to sleep. She had her head on the counter and refused any more food. Before I knew it she had slipped out of the kitchen.

We hadn't seen mark in 3 weeks and I was busy planning dinner so I didn't really notice for awhile. The girls told me she had gone to bed. We are all still jet lagged but that is not normal for her. Still I figured she was just tired and was upset about falling- maybe it all just exhausted her.

The girls tried waking her up- she didn't want to get up. When dinner was ready we carried her down and set her at the table- she seems to always wake up for meals but not this time. She just couldn't wake up, if she did her eyes would soon shut again. Again we still didn't put the pieces of the puzzle together. We thought it was a bad case of jet lag along with just not liking the food.

A couple minutes later she threw up. That's when it occurred to me- okay, something is going on. This is more thsn jet lag. We got her cleaned up and ready to go to the Doctor. She threw up again- okay skip the Dr's office we are going to the ER. Then she threw up a third time, skip the ER- we are calling 911.

Two police cars came with sirens, then an ambulance, with sirens. Ellie was still looking dazed, had an occasional little tear and continued to nod off. I went with her in the ambulance- she continued to act that way. Her vitals were okay but she worried the paramedics. We ended up going to the children's hospital with full sirens. (I wanted to pull out my phone and text you all for prayers but there wasn't time)

We were met with a complete medical team prepared to care for her. They were wonderful and I was so thankful. They did a CAT scan- she was perfect and was very still. It looked just fine PTL! They had a translator come but Ellie didn't speak- just shook her head yes and no to answer the questions. They decided she has a concussion and we were sent home 3 hours later.

She has a headache now and I have given her motr*n (per Dr's orders). She did not eat BKF and is resting again. I am still concerned for her. Please pray that she is feeling better soon and her headache is just a headache and nothing more.

Thank you! God Bless You!


29 comments:

Lizzyf1 said...

Oh Jean! how scary for you all!! what a rotten way to find out that when Mama says where your helmet...you need to WHERE YOUR HELMET!!!

Hopefully she's better today and will accept all the loving her mama has to give her! praying for her to get back to normal!

prayers..
Liz

Angie said...

Oh, my goodness...how scary for you all! I've had to call 911 for my Charlie and ride in the ambulance...scares the daylights out of you! Praising God that nothing was found on the CT, and praying that she will soon feel better.

Jboo said...

Oh my -- saying prayers for her and all of you this very moment! Hope she is feeling better and back to usual self sooN!

Janet

rarejule said...

Hope she is feeling better soon... how scary! Poor kid.

Wonder if she'll wear her helmet now? ;)

Tracy said...

Oh my goodness Im sure that was scary! I will deffinently say a prayer that she gets to feeling better very soon.

Nancy said...

I'm sorry you've all had a scare, and hoping she is feeling better soon. I wonder if she is feeling embarrassed or perhaps worried that she did something "bad" (which to us is normal behavior, and we get over it). But to a young child, it could feel like they've done something horrible?
Keep us posted how she is doing.

Difference2This1 said...

Ugh! How awful! Small blessing that she is the one into food though...it will be easier to spot when she is physically feeling better when she starts eating again. Robyn is like that and it makes things easier on the Mama who is hovering and worrying when she starts putting food in again. Hoping it's soon; a bump on the head like that can "take the stuffing" out of one for a couple of days I think. Saying some prayers for her today, Jennifer

Lori said...

Oh my goodness...that must have been terrifying for all of you!! Poor little girly!!

I hope today is very uneventful for you!!

The Heald Family said...

Oh, no! I am so sorry and praying today for her! It is so difficult not knowing what is wrong.
Please know I am praying...cathy

Shonni said...

Oh my goodness! I will be praying for ya’ll today. Poor little darling!

Laura L. said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Poor little one. :( I'm sure that was scary for everyone. I know it would have scared me so much as a mommy.
I'll say a prayer for her to get better and have no other issues.

Yes, let us know how she's doing.

Sophie said...

Poor baby, concusions are scary my son got one after he ran into the wall. Unfortunately she had to suffer this to realize the importance of wearing a helmut, I'm sure she was frightened sweet girl.
Poor mommy, I'm sure it was scary for you. Praying she feels better

Cari said...

poor little girl! sorry to hear that happened. you are all in my prayers.

Mary Kate said...

Oh my gosh, how SCARY, so glad the cat scan came out ok....maybe the concussion with the jetlag is alot to overcome...hopefully rest and TLC will do the trick....prayers your way.....

Hugs,

Mary Kate

Chandra said...

Very scarey! You all will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Pam said...

Oh Jean, what a scare! The good news is I bet she obeys her mama and she'll be wearing her helmet I'm sure, from now on. :)

Janet and Kevin said...

Oh - so sorry Ellie got hurt! It only takes a second, doesn't it?!! How scary for all of you. I suffered a concussion back in September with our car accident, and I can tell you that your head feels "funny" for a couple of weeks. Hopefully Ellie will be back to full speed sooner since she is young and I was "old" when mine happened!

Sending prayers your way.

Hugs,
Janet and gang

Karen said...

Praying for precious Ellie. Children fall all the time and it's hard to know when it's just a bump on the head or something more serious. Glad you guys were able to get her to the hospital and everything checked out fine.

Hezra said...

Oh dear, I am so sorry that happened! I will be praying for you all.

Nicole A. said...

You must have all been so scared! So glad she is OK! Praying for you all!

All the best,
Nicole A. in OH

Dawn - "Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

OH my....scary!!! So glad she is ok.....those kind of things can be very dangerous. I used to be an EMT.
Praying she continues to heal!

Karin said...

Oh my goodness...how scary! Thankful that she is recovering and hope that you can get some normal, restful time after this. God always has a purpose in everything, tho, so I know He will work it all for good. Big hugs!!

陳璇竹陳璇竹 said...

聰明人之所以不會成功,是因為他們缺乏了堅忍的毅力。..................................................

Blogging Friend said...

Oh Jean,
I am so sorry to hear about Ellie but am glad that she appears to be okay for now. If she continues to have a headache for another day or so I would take her to your Pediatrician and get a second look. It is most likely the Concussion but on something like this it is a good idea to have a second look.

How did Emma do during all this?

One thing for sure I bet they wear their helmets for now on.
How are they doing otherwise? Have you had any disciplinary issues after being at home other than the helmet issue? I guess what she is going through is enough punishment for that. Poor thing! But at least I hope she learned her lesson.

Love,
Sheila

Craig and Phyllis said...

Oh, that had to have been so scary for everyone involved! I'll be praying for a quick recovery in ALL areas for everyone.

soontobemomof9 said...

Oh goodness! I will pray for her! what a crazy, scary adventure I am sure!

Hope she is doing better by now!!!

Suzette said...

Sorry to hear this. Hope things are better by now. Praying for some calm!

mom2eliza-mom2ava said...

Jean, I've been following the blog since you got home, but my computer has been acting up and I couldn't seem to post comments. Much to say...later tho. OMG poor Ellie; she'll wear a helmet next time, if she even dares get on a bike again. I hope that she gets better; scary. Was Emma any comfort to her?

Sort of reminds me of the time I purchased a horse and trailered him home from 3 hours away. I was so excited to get him home, watch him, ride him, groom him. Coming off the trailer, he unloaded really fast and had his head jacked up high out of excitement. Whack! He hit it on the top of the trailer as he stepped down. Blood gushing, I had to call a vet for an emergency stitching and so began his life w/ me of being head-shy and hard to trailer! LOL

Ava's had a difficult 2 weeks w/ lots of Guilin flashbacks and homesickness. Lots of crying, distance. Seeing your girls in Guilin made her very emotional. Time will heal, I know, and whether that was the trigger of simply the 8-9 month end of honeymoon, I don't know.

Prayers and hugs, Sarah

Tesseraemum said...

Poor Girl! Hope she is ok now. Sheri