Saturday, September 11, 2010

How Do You Know It's Your Child?

I was just wondering how it is with other adoptive parents our there in bloggy land? How did you know that child was yours?

For us it has been different each time. One we had this immediate overwhelming feeling- honestly, I think it was straight from God- "this is our child"! It was so clear- there was no mistaking it. He spoke and we listened. We were giddy with excitement! Another time I had that feeling and shared with hubby. He was accepting of what I felt and believed along with me that it was straight for the Lord! We will never forget what he has said to us and we are holding onto his promises.

Other times we have prayed about it and as we move in the direction that we think is right God has interceded. He has literally stopped the email that declined the referral. A complete feeling of relief came over us and we then excepted the referral. We took a chance and we are so happy we did!! There have been other times that we have felt like it just isn't going to work out and then our minds completely change and feelings of certainty fill our hearts!

And then other times we just can't get a child(ren) out of our head. We try to pray it away and we can't. We try to refocus but we can't. Thoughts of them keep popping into our head. Then our mind wanders- what a great fit they would be and wouldn't they have fun with their new siblings...
At that point we move forward and IF it is in God's plan it all works out. If not we can only assume that God has other plans for the child and for us...

There is a feeling- it may not come right away but it comes. It's peaceful BUT this may be new territory for you so it may feel a little scary. When I have those scary feelings I give them to God. I know all things are possible through him. I know that somehow it will work out. Their are no guarantees but I know he will be with us every step of the way. Thank goodness because we really couldn't do this without him!

Hmmm, we've adopted 4 children... IF you do the math you can see this doesn't quite add up... hmmm. Hoping to explain it all, a little more in the future ;-)

How did it happen for you?

10 comments:

Sally-Girl! said...

Lauren was referred to us. Robert found Marissa and knew she was the one! I found Bryson and will never forget seeing his file come over the printer. As soon as I saw his photo come off the printer, I knew he was our son regardless of his disability. It took Robert a few weeks to say yes to him, but I knew!

Robert found Gio and told me he was the one! I was practicing submission and said okay.

Together we found Gracie right after committing to Gio. Together we requested to review her file again in March and together we made the decision that she was our girl!

But the common thread in each of our adoptions is that God perfectly placed each one in our home. Each child was meant to be ours!

We both are so committed to Gracie. It is such a great feeling and so wonderful to see God transform my hubby's heart from saying NO to a child with Down Syndrome to now advocating for her when I have been weak!!!

Great Post, my dear friend!!!

Jill said...

You crack me up! LOL! Can't wait to "meet" the newest addition! LOL!

Shelly said...

With our first 3 adoptions, (from S. Korea) we were put on a waiting list and matched with our child and once we saw their pictures, we absolutely knew they were who God had matched us with. On this last adoption that we are going through, I was going through the waiting child list and it was just an INSTANT knowing that she was our daughter. Even before we knew much about her, we both had this overwhelming peace that God had led us to her! Now we can't WAIT to get her home!

Chris said...

I don't know either how it works but I do think that Liang was just woven into our family. When we got the girls I wondered how I would really react to a baby that I hadn't birthed...somehow it just worked, then with a 10 y.o. boy...how on earth will that work...he just sort of is blending in...can't wait to watch/enjoy the process...

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Hmmm....well foster children - you get a call "hey we have this child are you willing?". He he he- they appear a couple of hours later- maybe in the middle of the night or day? So hmmm....a little different.

When we saw pics of our Hannah or Naomi- they were waiting. My heart immediately took one look and said- they are waiting for US! We just knew God was telling us. Kind of like you described.

Never saw a pic of Joanna before we flew to meet her- just knew this would be our child :)

Can I just say- I pray that this means- what I think this means- and I am sooo happy for you :)

Angie said...

Now you know it's not fair for the rest of us to leave us hangin'!!!! Fess up...who is she, or he or they?? I think I could write a book as to how all of our children came to us, but clearly in God's own way and in His timing. Sometimes it was not very comfortable...but it works out just as He planned it. We have been so much more at ease with the past two adoptions because we know the timing and circumstances are in His hands. I can't always say that we're worry-free, but we're sure much better now!

Pam said...

Hmmmm.....sounds like you may have some news!

Wright Family said...

I'm with Jill and Angie, You are pretty transparent....waiting to hear...Catherine

Mom to my China Posse said...

I have a feeling you have a certain little guy on your mind. For me with our 5 adoptions I can tell you 3 out of the 5 adoptions I felt a strong reaction to their referral picture and with Annah it was imediate, I seen her the first night she was posted on IAAP site, and we put her on hold the minutue I got thru to them on email, and the next morning we sent our LOI. I never had her file reveiwed until latter because I just knew she was ours. Good luck and I can't wait to read your news!

Suzy said...

May God bless you as you wait to be able to tell the story. I'll be praying for you.