Wednesday, February 16, 2011

It's official...

...we have become a large family! It kind of snuck up on us. The five older kids grew up so fast and then we began adopting. As we bring home 2 more- we are at 11 kiddos but only 7 at home. And we are not done!

As we grow in numbers I find we have to do things differently.
Everyone brings their own (shared)laundry basket in to the laundry room, we all fold together and they each return their own clothes to their closet.
The girls often empty the dishwasher. 
When mealtime comes we all pitch in to set the table and get the milks poured. We go through a gallon of milk every day (sometimes it takes us two days).
After eating the kids all put their dishes in the dishwasher.
When unloading the groceries everyone is expected to chip in! proof that many hands make light work!

Picking up the house is a family event.

The children make their beds every morning! They did a better job in China than I have done- the older boys still can hardly make their bed and well Katie? You'll have to ask her! Usually, what we say about Katie is- how can such a cute girl come out of a room lookin like that?

When we get into the car I feel a bit like I'm herding everyone toward the door. The big kids move to the beat of a different drummer at which point Mom throws up her hands and says- we'll meet you there! Which is just fine since we can't all fit into one vehicle anyway!

Hanging out together is always fun and entertaining. One by one they join us in the porch! We love it! the big kids filter in if they are home!

Everyone enjoys a moment to talk about themselves- what they are doing and their latest thoughts. If its not their turn they may find something else to do until it is! 

The big kids will look at a pic that I have up and comment- so ahhh is this my new brother or sister??

And now for your viewing pleasure her are pics from the zoo!

Don't worry children everything is fine! Just smile for Momma!!

Does anyone know of a yahoo group for large families?
I could use a few more tips and some support! 


Angie said...

We don't have as many children as you do, but it sounds like we run our homes much the same way. My boys vacuum, dust, scrub, do laundry, help cook, etc. I can NOT do it all by myself! And yes...I feel like I'm driving cattle trying to get them all in coats, shoes, and into the van. Oh my goodness...I'm going to bed!

Lori said...

Love the comment about Katie. So funny!

And wow, I'm simply amazed at how you make things run so smoothly (it does run smoothly, right?) around your house. I need to come observe so I can learn a few things.

Love the pics. So fun!!

Laura said...

a great blog
waiting for ta too!
you are a blessing
laura jones

Family said...

I love your big family. We are so similar. We will have 7 at home when our two boys come home and a total of 9 kids. I don't think we are done either. Hubby thinks so but he has said that several times:) God bless you!

Tracey and Chuck said...

I don't comment often BUT follow your blog and have been following since you brought Sara home! I think you are all amazing and I have a hard time getting my little boy going in the morning sometimes....can't even imagine how you do it!!!! You are an amazing women and mother!

Sarah said...

Big families are so fun! And really, the work is light if everyone pitches in. My kids are great at their assigned jobs, but I do need to figure out a way to have them pick up after themselves better...any ideas?

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Well....we only have 8 now....but you never know..... :)

He he he- you make me laugh. When you find a yahoo group for larger families- post it!! Please :)

I am always looking for great tips.

Totally get all those same feelings.. :)

Rebekah said...

Hey Jean,

I am in a yahoo group for large families. Email me:

Karin said...

Sounds familiar!! :) Oh...and that first pic of the zoo? of the monkey? That's the one my son would look at and say, "Is that my new brother?" ha.

Lynne said...

Hi Jean:
I have been following your blog for several months. I came to your blog from another site - and my day isn't complete until I check in on your family every evening. Your beautiful family, and your incredible words....make my heart smile, and bring peace to my heart. I love reading your thoughts, and I love-love-love the pictures ! I have been so excited that I now get to follow the additions of your two new little ones to your family. I'm so excited !! I pray for your family each day. You are one of God's Angels on earth. xoxoxo

KLM said...

Yup, still struggle to make my bed.

And "zoo" pictures on a post about how big our family is! How fitting!! haha I love it!

Sally-Girl! said...

I want to join the large family group too. 10 does count right? And chances are we are not done either! And if there is not one, let's start one!!!

Dr. D said...

Great post, Jean. Your routine for bed tidying, groceries, dishes etc. sounds like ours. We're a family of six about to jump to ten ... with all 8 children still home. I'm loving it. :)

By the way, I love that comment, "how can such a cute girl come out of a room lookin like that?" Too funny!

Shonni said...

Yes, great post.
If you find that group, let me know. I’m always on the lookout for new ideas.

Jackie Egan said...

We are currently a family of 7 and in the process of adding 2 more for a total of 9. There will only be 7 at home but they keep me very busy. I too would love to join a group for large families for any organizational tips.
Jackie in Ky
3 bio 4 adopted from China and 2 on the way from Eastern Europe.

Pam said...

I've got a cute girl that comes out of a room "looking like Katie's", too!!!!! I'm trying REALLY hard this time around to do things differently. :)

Mom Of Many said...

You start the yahoo group for large families...and let us join...xo