Monday, March 7, 2011

Do You Fear Different Disabilities?

I most certainly do!
I see them listed and immediately say no.
We/I cannot do that. Not interested in that one. It's not a fit for our family. The older children would struggle with it...

I have heard myself say this over and over again.
I am not too proud to say that I am scared to meet our new children.
Within moments of meeting Sam we will have to talk about and see his colostomy- it is not a pretty sight.
I have learned how to care for it and I'm sure I will have at least two hot flashes while changing the bag... There will be a lot of trial and error on my part. And probably a fair amount of dirty clothes due to my lack of expertise. I can only hope it will be bonding!

Do you think you can't handle it? Well, your probably right... you can't...

But God can! He can give you the tools you need to be able to handle it and to be successful at it!

It may be the best journey of your life!

It is so interesting, some of the disabilities that are on the waiting child lists I have thought were easy and yet I have had to rely on God way more than I thought I would have had to... 
Others, that were an immediate no and we have been able to deal with just fine. 

Yes, we have mourned and felt sad for our children's situations BUT loving them and being able to cope have come much easier than expected through prayer.

Don't try to out think yourself. YOUR child may have a disability that you thought you couldn't cope with- don't miss out on God's plan for your family! Step out in faith!
There is only one person that knows YOU better than you know yourself- trust HIM, He will not let you down!


He has a GREAT plan for you!!
A plan that will bring you closer to what HE has intended you to be!
Step out of your comfort zone!
Live life with reckless abandon and put your full trust in him!
It's an awesome ride!

15 comments:

Sarah said...

Beautiful post, Jean. So very true.

Angie said...

An awesome ride, indeed! And so vital to remember that it's not in our strength to do this...but in God's!

Jennifer said...

Thank you for this as we face an uncertain future of disabilities. But when God calls you to the least of these, abandon all and jump in the joy!

Janet and Kevin said...

Great post. With each adoption we have stepped farther out of our comfort zone and closer to God's zone. Actually the situation that is giving us sadness is the intense scarring after Philip's lip and nose revision two years ago. This was a seemingly routine surgery to help inhance and already beautiful lip and nose, but it somehow went awry and he has had intense scarring. Eli's heart defect so far has not caused any problems! You just never know!!

Anway, wonderful post about stepping out in faith and into God's plan for our lives.

Hugs,
janet and gang

quilt-n-mama said...

Thanks for this post Jean! How true it is, God Can! And... HE WILL!

Blessings friend...

Liz Tolsma said...

It is funny how sometimes he MAKES us step out of our comfort zone. Three years ago we adopted a beautiful little girl we thought had minor cerebral palsy. I didn't want a child with cognitive delays. By the time we got back to the hotel with our daughter we knew something was drastically wrong with her mind and shortly after we arrived home so was diagnosed with a condition which causes moderate to severe mental retardation. But God was faithful and knew what was best for our family. I wouldn't trade her for any other child- she is perfect to me. I praise
God for making us step out of our comfort zone.

Tracy said...

loved this post. : )

Wright Family said...

I sooo agree. I never would have thought I could handle some of the surprise SNs God has thrown our way, but where He calls He will enable. Good thing, my kids would not do well with me without Him. Catherine

Difference2This1 said...

Quite odd...but not 15 minutes before reading your post, I was asking a question to myself: why don't people write about how scared they are about the SN's they are committing to? Seriously...am I like the only one scared about parenting a child with DS and the many medical needs that are common with it? How come everyone else seems just fine with the entire thing?? And this thing with bringing home 5 yr old kids who either eat only mushed up muchy orphanage food or vomit up whatever they do eat?? How come it seems like everyone else is quite comfortable with it all. Kind of makes me think I'd better just keep quiet about writing about being just a little bit nervous about it all. But, then, here's Jean...writing all about how she expects to make a mess with a colostomy bag. AAhh...you restored my faith that others might just be a bit shaky about what they are taking on also. Whew!! I'm not the only one!! :) Blessings, Jennifer

Michal said...

We adopted our little girl from China in 2009 with a colostomy bag. You're right...I did have two hot flashes! It didn't go so well in China. The supplies we received from China were of less than desirable quality and instead of changing her bag every couple of days we were changing them every few hours! We learned many things...she learned to depend on us immediately. Bonding was incredible with her! We learned that God is capable of anything and that stepping out in faith is always a blessing. We learned that even though I'm not a "poop or vomit mom," this wasn't even remotely as bad as I ever imagined. I would suggest bringing some supplies with you. If you're interested you can email me and I'd give you a list of what would be helpful to have in China. margala@cox.net. I'm praying for you! Michal

David and Janet Hurley said...

So True!! During our recent "child search" my husband had to remind me, as I looked at the easy special needs, that those aren't neccesarily the ones that need us most. We choose to adopt sn because they are the "least of the least", but I needed reminding.

Sean and Lisa said...

Oh amen! When we trust God with ALL of us that includes our fears, doubts and worries. I am a testimony that HE is ENOUGH!
Can't wait to see your new precious ones in your arms!
Much love!
Lisa

Gretchen said...

Thank you for this post. I feel exactly the same way. This is what God is walking us through with our second adoption. My immediate reaction would have been no, but God whispered to me that He had everything covered. What a peace it is to know that even if it doesn't seem like the best idea, when God tells you it is...it ALWAYS is.

Chris said...

Yeah, our son's SN wasn't even on our list....until we saw him.
I am still nervous about the things to come, but so far so good. With God holding our hands we will make it

Kelly said...

We aren't able to adopt at the moment (a very long held dream of mine) for a variety of reasons, BUT the idea that you choose a disability gives me different thoughts. God blessed my family with 4 daughters, and each has a very different medical conditions - we have a child with burns, a child with a heart issue, a child who had brain surgery to disconnect half her brain, and a child with many surgeries left on a hemangioma. All were born healthy and "normal." All thrive. It wouldn't have been our choice, but I value each and every child's life and their path in life. It isn't about what we choose, it is about what we are called to do and how we step up.