Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sam's Situation




Oh MY! I was so quick to give my dear friend advice- I told her if your insurance covers it take your child to the best place you can!


Gulp, and now we are in that situation...


Part of me wants to just do it here. It would be so much easier- close to home, no planes, trains and automobiles. Just right down the road... simple simple simple (kind of) but maybe more difficult in the long run. 


Our Sam's situation is slightly more complicated that we thought (He has IA and a colostomy). His lower colon is short, he has a high anal atresia and even though the surgery can be fairly easy he will have more difficulty having fecal continence.


THAT is not my issue... we will take what we get. There are ways to deal with the situation no matter what it is.  My issue is- that it is our responsibility to do the best we can for him. Even our Doctor here said the best place to go is Cincinnati Childrens Hospital. I can deal with whatever the situation is but it is his life- I am sure IF at all possible he would choose to have "things work"... as well as possible.


We have all of his test results back. He does not have tethered cord or any spina bifada complications. He has 2 functioning kidneys and there are no other signs of a syndrome. His heart looks good! All of this is great news!! 


When adopting special needs children it is a leap of faith. It is trusting God with whatever complications come our way, HE will see us through, HE will guide us and give us strength to deal with it.


We knew Sam was ours- no matter what his situation was- we have never doubted that!


Now comes the time to look into options and second opinions...


If anyone has questions about adopting a child with imperforate anus or anal atresia please email me at jean.mulvahill@gmail.com
I will respond as soon as I can!


Honestly adopting IA has been E-A-S-Y, although I think there are many challenges ahead of us. At this point- we love him, he is ours and we will happily do what needs to be done!

13 comments:

Sally-Girl! said...

He is beautiful my friend!!! And as I travel back to Philly this next weekend with much dread, I am doing it because it is what is best for my boy, not easy to say the least, but what needs to be done right now!

Praying for answers for ya! Wishing closer was a better option! Knowing that God will lead you to the right place!

On a side note, I checked into our local grocery delivery service. May just have to start that up come fall!

Sue said...

You hit so many key points with Sam and his challenges, and adoptiong older children. I wouldn't trade any second with my children. Even when I think I am at my end, I know that is all part of it.

bnelson0364 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

One of the children in our travel group goes to Cincinnati from North Carolina for another issue. Her mom had the same issue but knew the doctor in Cincinnati was the right one to go to for her daughter and she is doing great now.

Faye Verquer said...

Come to Cincy! They are the best and you wouldn't want to give that sweet boy 2nd best! Its not a bad trip..I promise!! And you get to meet a really great family in Cincy...US!!! All kidding aside, do what you feel is right and pray. I wouldn't go anywhere else but I am just a 30 minute drive from Cincy Childrens! IF your doctors are saying the Cincinnati is the best then I would follow their advice. Thats pretty awesome that they suggest someone other than themself. I've been praying for all of you.

Faye

Shonni said...

We feel the same way about our two children who are waiting to come home!!
love you!!!!

David and Janet Hurley said...

Praying for you, friend, as you make hard choices, that effect the whole family.

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Praying for wisdom in the decisions....it is hard sometimes to know which way is best.

The Heald Family said...

I know we were dealing with other medical issues for lee lee, but I am so glad we took her to Iowa for all 14 castings and then double hip surgery too. It was a hastle but so worth seeing the best doctor for her. In fact we will most likely need another surgery to repair her weaker side. My mom & I drove up, spent a week in hospital, and drove back with her laying down in the van in a special seatbelt. A doctor in town has been great to x ray her every 6 months and mailing them to the doctor in Iowa. It was well worth the hastle. I will be praying for wisdom for y'all. On the other hand we have a great cranial facial team in Chattanooga so we have had her surgeries here in town. Love ya......Cathy

Karen said...

What a tough position to be in......Deciding where to seek treatment. I drove 13 hrs with 7 kids and lived in hotels & at relatives for 7 weeks to have our son's feet cast by the best doctor. This was our 3rd child we made that same long trek for. Not what "I" wanted to do but the best thing for our son. I would do it again for our next one too. Forbus we didn't want to second guess ourselves. I know you guys will make the right decision for Sam & your family b

Hmmmmm I might need to look into the whole groceries delivered option. It has to be easier than shopping with 7 kiddos:-). I bet there won't be any "surprises" found in the cart at the checkout:-)

Lynne said...

Jean - my prayers and best thoughts are with you as you contemplate these difficult decisions. I know God will lead you in the perfect direction - He always does. You always do what is right. God bless and be with your beautiful family. xoxoxo

Holly said...

I am certain the Lord will direct you. E's docs also referred us to Cincy. When THEY say it is the best option, I feel like we need to do it for her, of COURSE it will not be convenient but I trust the Lord to work it all out somehow.
He will lead the way for you!
Hugs,
Holly

Hunan Mommy said...

I am the mommy to a sn's kiddo also. I totally understand unexpected needs and trying to get the best care possible. So glad to hear he is on the road to healing. I so enjoy reading your updates:-)