Wednesday, June 29, 2011

What do you see?

The treasures are there! They are waiting for you to find them!
This little guy sat and sat and sat on the waiting child list. Then he was listed as "file to be returned".
We couldn't let that happen!
He has what may be considered a tough disability.
IA- Imperforate Anus otherwise known as anal atresia.
When I look at this picture I don't see that? 
Do you?
I see a whole lotta cuteness going on!

He has a colostomy. The products/supplies that are out there now make it pretty easy to deal with. We change his bag about every other day. Every three days in the cooler weather. We empty it about every 6 hours or so- actually as often or as seldom as we want to- doesn't matter. He lets us know if the bag is heavy and he wants it emptied. 
He can do everything any other child can do! Even pass gas!!

When ever the girls smelled something that wasn't quite right they immediately blamed it on Sammy!
BUT when Sam passes gas it goes into the bag and doesn't smell- so will the real gas passer please fess up!!
Then Sarah says - it wasn't me!
And of course then I hear 4 more- it wasn't me!

We are planing to have his repair in Cincinnati. They are #1 in Pediatric Anal Atresia and related issues.
They should receive all of his information and test results this week. We have no idea when we will first meet with them and when the repair will be scheduled for? BUT we are looking forward to hearing from them and getting an appointment!! (Just hoping it's not scheduled for the same time we are leaving for China for Luke and Mia.)

All the kids have seen Sam's colostomy and have seen us care for it. It's no big deal anymore. What may have looked a little shocking at first is now just part of their little brother.
We read the book "Everybody Poops" to the kids.
And every one does poop- Sam's just poops a little differently right now.

Now that we're experienced at this swimming is working out great! When I see him playing in the water and smiling from ear to ear it warms my heart and I can't help but thank God for this incredible little boy!
He is so filled with joy!!

Don't shy away from an adoption just because of the diagnosis! Pray about it- it just might be one you can handle! And even if you think you can't handle it- God can! He will not leave your side!

So thankful to have this little boy home!!


Sue said...

I totally understand as Erin's file was due to go back to. I am so glad that Sam got such a wonderful family. I will pray for a quick appointment

Sarah said...


Sally-Girl! said...

I just love that boy!!!!

Vicky said...

That was beautiful, just like Sam!

Jodi said...

Amen! Thank you for sharing! Though we just got home with 2 more treasures I still needed to hear this!
Please pray for us as God is working!

Hezra said...

This made me cry happy tears. For him first. SO glad God showed you that you CAN do this! And for you, because of your following God you have precious happy new treasure! And for me?? We are in the final stages of selection on foster care adoption. We are at the point where I am trying to figure out what I can handle what I can't and I was getting so overwhelmed. I feel led to a certain sibling group and am just praying for God to help open all the doors to the kids that need us. and show me I can do what He calls me to. This was encouraging to me for that reason. lol it is like His voice saying, "Hezra even if it sounds hard-- I can help." love you sweet sister!!!

Karen said...

He is a doll!!!

So glad you are heading to Cincinnati. My good friend takes her daughter there and has nothing but fabulous things to say about the doctors, staff and hospital.

Jennifer said...

Thank you for sharing about this special need. Nothing to fear but fear itself. I admit I would have been a bit nervous.

Becky said...

Thank you for your wonderful post. We are so excited to get our little "colostomy guy" home from China. Just waiting on USCIS, and that looks like it is close, so who knows, maybe we will end up in China together. :-)

living4him5 said...

Dear Jean,

Awesome post! That sweetie is just precious!!

Have a wonderful 4th!!


MommaT said...

oops tried to post I don't think it worked....since you seem to always see the most lovely children we are considering adopting a little girl probably under 3 on special focus since we can reuse our dossier until 30 May 2012...let me know if you see any

Difference2This1 said...

So glad to read how well things are going in that department!! We're up to our ears in poop issues every day it feels like; some days I wonder if it wouldn't be easier if it were all contained in a disposable bag!! :)

Blessings, Jennifer

Annie said...

Oh Jean, I love, love, love this post! That is why I wish there was some sort of picture/video for orphans program in China. Those children who have wonderful pics taken of them seem to be able to overcome their scary sounding SN's. Those pics just make you realize that these are real, children, beautiful children who are so much more than their SN's! Thank you for such a wonderful post!