Friday, October 28, 2011

Our Calling...

We have had many people ask us about this... about our calling...about our adoptions. 


Is it a calling?


Why so many?


Why so fast?


Why two at a time?


Isn't this hard to afford?


It's time to answer some questions!


To us, this is a "CALLING".


I have said this before but it happened in such a way that we knew this is what we were to do.


We went through a very tough time about 10 years ago- emotionally and financially. We lost 3 of our parents in 2 years, we over extended ourselves financially and made many bad choices. In many ways we were lost. 


Truthfully God broke us...
I had always said that I would NEVER look back and thank him for that time. Yes, it was something we had to go through but... thank him? No way!


We had many dreams and they were all taken away from us. We were left with what we thought at that time was NOTHING...


We couldn't have been more WRONG!


God took away our pride, our earthly values, our self esteem that was wrapped up with earthly desires.
Over and over again he HUMBLED us... I didn't want to be humbled... to me it was embarrassing, humiliating and degrading.


Our heads were spinning, we were lost, we thought we had nothing left...


We finally, after quite a fight... gave up...
We couldn't do it anymore. There was nothing left.


I gave up first and I  GAVE EVERYTHING I HAD, TO HIM. In other words I came to him with nothing, nothing at all. I finally realized I wasn't in control. 


Do you know what HE did?


He loved me just as I was, He picked me up and piece by piece He began to put me back together again. 


I didn't know what hubby would do BUT he did the same thing. I was very thankful for that... Slowly he fixed us. 


We liked what what God had done. It felt good! We were free from the chains of the world.
We had different mottos that we lived by-
Love and serve the Lord Jesus Christ.
Spend each day doing something good. (Stay away from the negative)
Every day work hard for HIM.
Be nice to each other everyday because ya never know who's not going to be nice to you that day.
We aren't in control, HE is!
Be kind and helpful to others.
Be joyful!


About this time we were broke! Really broke but we were happy!
God blessed me, a previous stay at home Mom with a great job as a school nurse at a Christian school!
Hubby was starting a business adventure... that although didn't pay him anything at first, looked promising!
Our children were doing good and had actually made the adjustments and ridden out the storm quite well (praise God)!


We began to wonder? What did God have in store for us? We knew he had a plan BUT what was it? 


We loved being parents and we did think about adoption. But it was just a thought. We had heard so many "not so good" stories...


God continued to bless us... we were happier than ever. We knew he wasn't doing this so we could once again go back to the way we were. We knew we had a responsibility to serve him and to do "His Will" with  "His Blessings". 


Nothing was truly ours. We came into this world with nothing, we will leave with nothing and we deserved nothing.


So... one day we were in church and it came to me. It was crystal clear what he wanted us to do!
I whispered to hubby "I have to tell you something after church" and he looked at me and said... "I know what your going to say to me!"


And he did!


That was the beginning of "Our Calling"!


We started out planning to adopt healthy children but that was not his choice for us. He calmed our fears regarding special needs and continued to nudge us forward, down the adoption path! Of course our special needs list was small- we just didn't think we could handle anything too difficult.


We had it in our head that we would adopt 2 young little girls probably with cleft lip/cleft palate.


But of course, we all know who the author of this story is... and once again, it was not us!


Every step of the way has been orchestrated by Him. Every twist and turn is HIS. Every child that has entered our home has been Chosen By Him.


It has been quite a ride!! 


So... I haven't answered very many of the questions? It looks like there is a definite need for a part 2!
So stay tuned!


And YES, we do look back now and "Thank Him".


He SAVED US! 


For He so loved us that he gave his only begotten son that who so ever believeth in him will not perish but have everlasting life!
John 3:16 (Thank you Susan for correcting me! I didn't take the time to look it up!)

16 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love it! My husband and I feel the same way. Can't wait for part 2! :)

Chris said...

Thanks for sharing! I love how God works...ya just never know what he is up to.

Looking forward to part 2!!!!

Cari said...

I loved reading this, Jean, and am looking forward to part 2! It's so interesting to hear each others story regarding how or why they were "called". :)

Chris said...

I am so glad that you are doing this part in your children's lives. Some people just can't wait to sit back and retire and spend money on themselves.

Susan A said...

It's John 3:16 :) I love how He called you so clearly! May you all be continued to be guided by Him! :)

Sarah said...

Oh, I love reading this! Thanks for sharing your story. I'll look forward to part 2!

Janet and Kevin said...

Amen to all you said, Jean. Can't wait for part 2.

Hugs,
janet and gang

Lori said...

I absolutely love your story, Jean! It is so amazing and wonderful...and SO ENCOURAGING!!

Love you, friend!!

Chris said...

AMEN sister,
God gives us callings-if we listen, and heed, and obey, oh the rich blessings He will bestow upon us
and about those special needs blessings-OH MY-could they be any sweeter?
We have walked a very similar path in many regards-from healthy adoptions to s/n-and what a ride it is, but when we walk with the Lord, and we trust and obey, there is no other way to be happy.
blessings on your journey-cuz I feel you aren't done yet???:)

Holly said...

That is AWESOME!!

Jboo said...

What a wonderful family and calling! Bless your hearts!

Janet

No Greater Love said...

Oh...I love this story. I cannot wait for part 2.

Jo's Corner said...

Jean, I appreciate your honesty and openness in how you and your hubby walked through the valley, but then turned your lives over to Him and what He would have you do. Most refreshing, is your Obedience to go and adopt and care for Orphans. You have such a Sweet, Sweet Spirit and I always look forward to your posts! I can't wait for Part 2! Love to you and your precious family! Jo

TanyaLea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TanyaLea said...

Oh Jean ~ this post somehow caught me off guard and made me cry. I think because I relate to too many parts of it. Unfortunately, we got into a place (or rutt/trap as I see it now!) of over-extending our finances up until a couple of years ago, and it has really caught up with us, too. Because I have Khloe home, we really don't want me to go back to work, so aside from my hubby's professional job, he has been building storage sheds on the side. And Praise God! ~ he has been very busy! It has helped us to tackle some of this debt. We've still got a ways to go, but we're on the roll and God is blessing our faithfulness. Like you, I never want to be back in that place. It seems so self-absorbed to me now. Our hearts desire is to go back to China asap. With winter soon approaching, the shed building will have to come to an end for awhile. But he has enough jobs to keep him busy until the snow flies. He's even in the process of building a pretty fancy little chicken coup for a guy. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Then in the spring, he plans to return to shed building more garden/storage sheds and some custom play houses. I'm so excited about that, as we will finish the insides and decorate them, too. I will make the little curtains, do the painting, etc... it will be fun. But anyway, to make a long story short, God has us in the midst of that season of 'breaking us' too. We're on the road to recovery, but it hasn't been (and still isn't) easy. Especially when your heart longs to be back in the adoption process already. But God knows this, too... and He is helping us through and blessing us with these small jobs. We've also sold off all but one of our ATV's, sold hubby's nice car and he's driving his parents old blazer to work that they gave us. So all of our vehicles are paid off now, so we can focus on our CC debt. It feels so good with each thing we pay off, and I will NEVER get pulled back into that trap again. I am so glad God used adoption to help us open our 'self-blinded' eyes to the ways of this world and our covetousness of 'things' and 'lifestyle' to the REAL needs in this world. It's a very humbling experience, indeed... but I am thankful that I see the world through different lenses now.

Anyway, sorry about the book, this just really struck a chord with me, and I just wanted to thank you for sharing your personal story... and knowing where you are now, helps me see the light at the end of our tunnel. We're also hoping to sell our timeshare, knowing we don't 'need' the fancy vacations right now, and that we'd rather use the funds to bring home a little sister (and maybe even a little brother, too!) for Khloe, sooner rather than later. I can't wait to see that next family photo with ALL of your kids home! (well, until God places on your hearts 'the calling' to go back again next time!) I love that you and your hubby are so 'in sinc' on that topic... it is such a refreshing blessing to witness!

Love you and God bless!!!

OXO,
Tanya

Faye Verquer said...

We have been down this road....lost a lot, now I get to look forward to what our plan is as well! I cannot wait, I am almost giddy with excitement to see how ours will turn out! I just hope its half as good as yours!!

Faye