Wednesday, October 12, 2011

What do ya think and a common occurrence at our house?!

As I write this Emma is doing my hair!
Life is good! 
I love it when the kids comb my hair!

Today Emma's gymnastic teacher told me it was not working having her in the class.
She is not able to keep up and do what the teacher asks.
I have A LOT of feelings about this. Not sure if I should accept it or fight back?
Not sure what is in her best interest?
She loves doing what the other kids do but it is obvious she cannot really do what they do...
Need a little more time to pray and contemplate...
Feel free to give me your opinion.

It seems that we are always having a birthday around here!
And this time is was my baby boy's birthday!

No, not Sam...
No, not Luke...
It's Johnny!
He turned 18... ouch! 18, really?
Where did the time go?

Honestly we just have so much fun when we are all together!
Sometimes we are all chatting and other times we break off into little groups and read stories, play on the computer, help in the kitchen, etc!
It's all good!

Once again it thrills me to have this crew together!
Littles and bigs!
We were missing our two Colorado boys ;-(

With temps in the 70's and 80's we decided to barbecue!
Dad had lots of helpers!

After Dinner it was time for the "cake picture"
Thank you Jesus!!

And just as Johnny inhaled to blow out HIS candles!

Everyone else beat him!
By the time Johnny tried to blow them out... the job was done!
He thought it was hysterical!

HaPpY 18tH bIrThDaY

And I'll end this with another Thank YOU Jesus!


laurajonesjournal said...

Jean! I want to be like you when I grow up! :) I'm always so inspired about you and the way you are living your life!!! I love it. Happy Birthday Johnny! Praise God for you, Jean.

Blessed Single Mom said...

Hi Jean,

I'm a long term lurker but have so enjoyed following your journey and falling in love with each of your kids. I own a gymnastics school and you might see if Emma has a shadow to help her to do the class. We do that with kids at our facility. Sometimes it is a parent other times another staff person. If the gym is about helping kids they should have some suggestions to help her out and give her a chance to be apart of the class. It's not hard to adapt a class to each child's needs depending on the issues. I don't know all you are facing but it is shame that an activity like gymnastics can't be matched to help every child. My son has many challenges and his can keep him out of a class due to how he relates to other kids. So I understand some situations don't work out.
Your blog has blessed me many times thank you for sharing.

Debbie said...

I don't really know what kind of advice to give you because I really don't know a thing about gymnastics. But I wanted to let you know I have been reading through your blog from start to finish and it's a great resource for us as we get ready to adopt from China. Another thing I noticed, especially with this last post, is the difference in Emma's expression. She genuinely seems happy compared to last year's pics. Keep up the good work!

Sally-Girl! said...

Happy Birthday Johnny! Heck, I say you go out there and teach the littles gymnastics!!!!

Honestly, I am proud of you Johnny as you have risen to the occasion each time a new little comes home!!

May God continue to bless you!!!

Sue said...

Happy birthday Johnny.
Regarding Gymnastics, maybe you need to talk to the instructor and see if you can have someone be in there with her to help her along. I know at my girls, If Erin would join, they would get an interpeter for her. Maybe someone could help.

Sophie said...

When my daughter joined ballet, she was scattered, all over the place and unable to follow directions so the park district provided an aide for her at no charge, not sure if you're in a park district classes but it's worth finding out if this service is available.
Especially if she's enjoying it why discourage her?

Also Happy birthday to your Johnny.

You are an amazing mom and woman Jean.

Diane said...

So blessed! You have a wonderful family!

Angie said...

I just love seeing photos of your happy family, and still blown away when I see sweet Emma's smile. It's for real can see it in her eyes.

Lori said...

Happy Birthday to Johnnie!

Fun pics!!

Difference2This1 said...

Maybe it's just me...but I think it takes a lot of gall to tell a parent it's not "working" to have their kid in a class. This is the 2nd Mama I've read about who was told this recently. If it's a competitive team, I guess I could see if a child isn't meeting requirements, it might be necessary to remove them from the team. However, general gymnastics classes? The ones we've been to- skills and behaviors always vary. I pray if I'm in a position of teaching groups of kids, I would strive very hard to make it work for each child. Partner with the parent to figure out a solution that works for everyone. I wouldn't want the reptuation of kicking kids who have struggles out of class. I would want to have the reputation that says if your child has struggles, you can bring them here for help in healing- not further hurt. If given a choice, I'd pack up everyone and leave that gym; in this economy it could make enough of a difference that the owner rethinks his/her perspective on the mission his/her gym.

Blessings, Jennifer

Chad and Kristy said...

Interested to read all the responses.. I struggled with Anna Li too. She wanted to play soccer like the other kids. She had just came home when they started so I told her maybe next year. I knew she wouldn't be able to keep up or get it due to her low iq. It would be like a 4 year old playing with the big kids...which would end with kids making fun of her. I didn't want to put her through that. We discovered she loves swimming and that is what she spends her time doing now outside of school...for fun not sport:) I think the shadowing is a good idea and gymnastics would really be helpful for her to strengthen her and help with coordination. If this lady isn't willing I would look around and find someone who is.

Jo's Corner said...

I too, love the pictures! Happy Birthday, Johnny! Aren't you glad you had all that help blowing out your candles? Just think, when you turn 70, you won't have to worry about blowing out 70 candles! I would guess that there will be at least 59+ nieces and nephews to help by then!! ; )

Tesseraemum said...

Happy Birthday Johnny!!

I'm with some of the others. Surely the gymnastics school could have someone work with her one on one during the class. Kind of keep her focused and maybe help her do what she can. If not see if you could have someone go with her. Probably a teen or young adult would be great. Maybe one of Johnny's friends would be willing :-) I agree with Jennifer, surely there is a gym somewhere nearby that would be willing to work with her! Its not the olympic team for crying out loud! Stick to your guns especially is this is something Emma is enjoying!!
Also, I sent you an email but it was returned... We are close to Cincinnati and I would love to come down when you are here with Sam. I can bring food! HA! Also I can tell you a couple of fun places to go if you are able to get out with him before surgery. You can message me on Facebook too if your on there. Sheri Whitlock Watson.

Holly said...

First of all, happy birthday to Johnny!! Fun pictures!!

And next, the gymnastics question. Okay, it angers me. My boys were in a co-ed gymnastics class last year, and there was a girl in there who had been adopted from Romania when she was around three, right before that country closed to adoption. She has some special needs, but is doing so wonderfully considering how her life began. She is slow, and cannot keep up. But the teacher only encouraged her and let her do what SHE could. If they would have asked her to leave the class, I would have been pretty angry! Maybe that's just me, but that's my opinion. It's not like they are in the olympics, or even on the local team! I think it's pretty sad that it's even an issue. : (

Susie said...

We go to a noncompetitive gym where skills are built on what yoy can do, and mixed abilities are in the same class. If they will not allow a shadow, is there another gym? Also, your kids make up a whole class just about, can they not schedule a class just for your kids? Maybe with a different teacher? Or are you enjoying them being with other kids as well? I say, if she enjoys it, she needs to be doing it! When I think of how far Lizzie has come in the last year plus through her physical therapy and age appropriate activities, it makes me mad for you! I say find a new gym if they won't work with you to find her a better class that is a fit!

adoption journey said...

We had our boys in a gymnastics class, and there was one (much younger)boy who just couldn't keep up, and he was holding back the other (more athletic) children from making progress. Ultimately, the gym found a more appropriate class for the kiddo, and it worked out for all involved.

Sammy said...

Hmm... what if schools, churches or even families kicked out the kids that struggled? I have two right now that do not have learning disabilities, but are learning English. I would hate to think what it would be like if they were not being given a lot of compassion. This is only gymnastics for for pete's sake. Maybe the teacher should get a grip.

Jo's Corner said...

Just stopping by to say that I've had Anna on my mind a lot! How is your precious girl? I know that oral surgeries make you feel miserable, period! I am saying some special prayers for Anna. Tell her that, okay? Love & Hugs to every one of you Littles!