Friday, January 27, 2012

What really bothers me!

If you are around me please don't say the Lord's name in vain. In fact where ever you may be, please don't say the Lord's name unless you are praying to Him.

I find it so offensive when others say his name at inappropriate times. My body cringes and I immediately pray for them.

Our Lord is to be glorified, revered and praised. 
His name should never be used as a form of profanity, to make a point in a simple conversation or as an outlet for anger.

My second issue is when people say..."TRUST ME"

Oh my goodness, you are just human, why on earth would I put my trust in you? 

My trust is in the Lord!

I can believe you, I can hope that what you say is accurate, I can love you, I can like you, I can assume you will do the best you can do, I can think that you will follow through or that you may know what you are talking about

BUT trust you? 


My trust is in the Lord.

What do you say to people that say the Lord's name in vain?

I'm not a fast thinker but I would love to be able to say something that would gently but accurately let them know that it's not okay to say?


Jolene said...

I am not a witty in the moment type person, either, but it seriously bothers me as well. Also, when people go on and on about luck. Nope, I believe in blessings and not luck...there is NO such thing as a coincidence with the Lord in charge!

Joy said...

I agree! I CRINGE when I hear the Lord's name taken in vain.

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

I like this response- Yep HE love you too! :)

I am with you!!!!!

Chris said...

yeah, I know...
Thing is, when you dress like I do...they apologize to ME...I gotta come up with a witty answer for that.

And trust...well prove to me that you are trustworthy, then we'll talk

living4him5 said...


~Amy <><

Joy said...

My response....Hey, you know my best friend too!!!! Usually causes people to become very sheepish and they get the message:)

The Rylands Family said...

Jean, So troubling. I get that "down my spine" feeling too when I hear people do this. My older son, recently adopted, has picked up a phrase here in America that is so common and I can't stand it. I am working on erasing it from his lips. "Oh my ***". Ugh. I pray someday that he can revere that name as is worthy of our Father in Heaven.

Jo's Corner said...

I'm sorry that you had to hear that while you're at the hospital with Sam. I actually just say, "That word is offensive to me. Would you not use it around me?" And, I really AM offended by it!!

I've noticed the Oh My *** used on TV a lot. On Extreme Home Makeover, EVERYONE said that when they first walked into their new home! Made me feel crazy! It just came to the point that I waited to hear it.

Really, really makes me wonder if the people KNOW Him?!!

How is Sam? I've been Praying for him a lot. I hope his pain is well controlled. Take care of You, too, Mommy! Love to Both of you! ~ Jo

Suzette said...

Sadly, I hear my students use it way too often. I gently remind them that unless they are praying they should choose another word to say or I ask them if we should be quiet while they pray. Generally, they have no idea what they have just said since they are so desensitized to hearing this. It gives opportunity to remind them that it is offensive to me without being critical of them.

Hunan Mommy said...

THANK YOU!!! I hear it constantly, in public, from my confirmation students, and the list goes on and on. It's the first habit we break in our Sunday School class. I can't stand it. It's offensive and hurtful. I guess you know my feelings on this topic :-) Great post!

Sammy said...

When I was growing up I wasn't allowed to even say gosh so "trust me": - ) it bothers me to no end. I've also been very upset about the Happy Holidays and taking Christ out of Christmas. This was a great post! I might have to copy it on mine.