Monday, March 12, 2012

Surgery... cancelled...

UGH...


We were at the hospital for 3 hours...
It was supposed to be for a blood draw, a tour of where we will be the day of surgery...

And then Luke coughed...
And he coughed again
and again...

Then they took his temp. It was 100...


This morning I heard him cough. I had hoped I was only hearing things OR that it was another child...

We have been so healthy all winter but Emma caught a cold a week ago. She is fine now but then Ellie got it. I tried to keep some distance between the kids, use paper towels for wiping hands along with other germ fighting substances.
BUT wouldn't ya know Mr Luke is the next one to get the potential cold.
No runny nose, no other symptoms but a few early signs that some upper respiratory thing is happening.
Another UGH...

His xray was clear but they don't want to take a chance. Of course we don't either but we had everything in place to proceed. Okay we will go with plan B. Not sure what that is yet but we will figure it out...


The minute we got home, I nebbed him!
I want to be on top of this so it doesn't get really bad. Hoping it never develops and we can get back on the calendar asap

They were also concerned about the sores on the sides of his mouth. They have been there since the dental work was gone and he keeps picking off the scabs? Not sure what they are?

One more
UGH!

Thank you for your prayers! Save them and I'll keep you updated on the new date!

9 comments:

The Heald Family said...

Bummer - so sorry!
Praying he gets well quickly an the rest of the home doesn't get it:)

Jo's Corner said...

Oh, Sweet Jean, the very first thing that came to my heart is that HIS timing is always, always Perfect. Your boy is not supposed to have that surgery..yet. So love on him and know that things happen the way our Lord Plans them. Praying that Luke doesn't get sicker and that the rest of the family stays well. Those sores on his mouth could be made worse by a herpes virus. I'm thinking they are concerned about having him intubated with open sores on his lips. It would be painful with the tape and that would make his lips worse.
I also think that the timing is great for you to be fully available for Abby and her surgery. While the port placement is a simple procedure, it is painful for a few days and I'm thinking she's gonna want her Mommy to hold her a lot! By the way, I have a Port and it is such a wonderful thing to have! It will save Abby-Girl a LOT of pokes for IV's and blood draws. They will give you something called Emla Cream. You put that over the port and cover it with saran wrap or Tegaderm and she won't feel the poke to access it. I sure wish I lived closer. I would be there to help if you needed me! I was a Nanny in the Twin Cities for 17 years. By the way, I'm only 70 miles away, so if you ever need an extra hand to sit at the hospital, I'd drive right up! Know that the offer comes directly from my heart! I sure love your sweet family! Blessings to All ~ Jo

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Praying it goes quickly and for a new date soon!!! :( UGH!

Holly said...

So disappointing! But I read Jo's Corner's comment up there, and completely agree. God always knows what He is doing. Praying for you and those beautiful kids!

thesleepyknitter said...

Oh! so sorry for such a frustrating day! I've taken a mildly sick little one to major, out-of-state surgery before and have felt that enormous concern, though we were able to go through with surgery. may God direct your path during these next days and weeks as the children receive surgery and go into recovery.

Sarah said...

Oh, it is soooo hard to get all prepared for a surgery and then not have it done! But, it's better that he caught it now than right after the surgery. Praying that he gets well very soon!

Serving the King said...

UGH!! It takes so much emotional energy to get yourself prepped and ready to tackle a surgery like that with your child and to be all ready and then get the no-go, ARGH!! Hang in there friend!

Sophie said...

Praying sweet sister. He is so precious!!

Cari said...

Here's another "UGH"! I know what it's like to have surgery scheduled, babysitters in place and schedules worked out, only to have it canceled because of a clear runny nose. Like you said...it's better to be on the cautious side to have the best outcome possible. Hope Luke bounces back quickly and that his little sores/scabs heal up too.