Friday, May 11, 2012

Why Are We Adopting Again?

It's a very good question!

I am guessing a few people have wondered that...

Most likely I will not give a response that would satisfy everyone.

I could say that things are going so well that we feel like we can adopt again...
But does that mean we will adopt until they don't go well and then the whole family will fall apart?
No, it doesn't mean that...

I could say that we love children and that is obviously true but everyone who loves children does not adopt... or continue to adopt.

We have been asked "How do you differ from an orphanage?"
(that was in China).

We are completely different-
We are two parents that actually parent our children.
One home with everyone in it,
full time!
We have a sitter sometimes- 
for many of our medical appts, Wednesday afternoons (my time) and when we need to travel.
Faith in God, prayer, thankful hearts, love and laughter are the weapons of choice in our family!

For whatever answer we give there could be a "not so positive" counter response.

It is impossible for us to truly explain and try to have everyone understand that what we are doing is what we (hubby and I) were meant to do...

I remember when I was a child saying-
Why am I here God?
What is my purpose?

And then 40 years later at one of our children's graduation the Bishop said-
If your passion is consistent with God's will-
then pursue it! 

WE BELIEVE that our passion is constant with God's will for us.
We believe that God is calling us to care for his children.
We believe that serving HIM in this manor is what HE desires of us.

It is something WE CAN DO!

Others are called to live in a foreign country and serve there. 

If I moved to another country to serve God... I'd be moving without my husband. He is a wonderful guy BUT that is where he draws the line.
I deeply admire the families that do this...

Some are called to preach to the people and share the good news of Jesus Christ.
That is not my strength. I believe in HIM, I love HIM but words often fail me.

Our family is beyond being different... 
We know that most people will not be happy for us but will instead question our decision, our sanity, our motives, our ability to raise so many, our finances, or whatever else they can find to question.

To us...
that doesn't matter.
To us,
 it doesn't matter if we have
 6, 8, 10, 12, adopted children
it does matter to that child... to the children...

To the one that has no parents, no home, no family, no Jesus, no love and no one that really cares about them...

And then we can go on and include, no medical care, very little nutritious food, no dental care, no education...

To us our children are like flowers blossoming.

It is and continues to be a miracle that is happening right before our very eyes and right in our very own home.
Everyday we are blessed by these children.

I wouldn't want to miss this for ANYTHING!

Not for any vacations, any luxuries we may otherwise have had, any coffee parties or any evenings out with who's who and what's what... 

This is exactly where God wants us and this is where we want to be...

with HIS children!

(Okay... sometimes hubby wants to be on the golf course- so we make sure he goes out and golfs with the older boys!)

What we are doing is what we were called to do...
In our minds everything about it is 

right and good.

Thank you JESUS!


Rebekah said...

Excellent post. I could not agree more.

Nikki said...

I find is so sad that people question other families motives for choosing adoption, for adopting internationally, and for the number of children in a family. I think that if you are open to adding more children to your family and you can feel God guiding you to more children, than go for it! You are all very blessed and your children are in such a loving family...that's what counts! God bless you on your journey to ALL of your babies!

Angie said...

And there's no place better to be than walking the path the Lord has set out before you! So happy for your awesome family to be adding another sweet child!

Janet and Kevin said...

Jean - I have missed a few days tying up loose ends for our China trip in June to serve at Philip's China Home, so imagine my joy when I read the news about your newest adoption!!

So happy for you and for your new daughter and can't wait to follow your journey. Thank you for following God's lead for your lives. It is an inspiration to me to see you living out His plan.

Much love to you,
janet and gang

KHM said...

You go! You will know when it is time to stop. Until then, God grant strength and health to you both!

Pam said...

The ONLY one you need to please is God. And I am most certain that HE is pleased. No need to justify to anyone. And to any naysayers, just show them the photo you have posted. The look on your children's faces says it all. Happy, well cared for, thriving and LOVED. End of discussion.

mbcfree said...

So excited for you! We haven't told our family yet that our latest adoption will be two children instead of just one. I feel like I am following God's plan for my life as are you. Can't wait! For both of us!

Jennifer P said...

It's not what you do, it's who you are.

Let's help others understand that it would be harder to NOT do what is asked from the Lord than to do this life He has led you to.


Mom to my China Posse said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to follow along on your journey.
I to get the question all the time "are you finished" which I find at times, pretty annoying, because its usually from people who don't seem to be happy for us. All I can say is large familes arent for everyone, but it works well for us and thats all that matters to me. You go girl, keep following your heart and His will.

David and Janet Hurley said...

Very well said Jean! I agree, we got all those comments too. Many days I feel inadequate for these kids, but know God is my strength. And no matter how much I fail, I know the kids are far better off than they would have been in China.

Shonni said...

You perfectly summed up my thoughts on this question!
love ya’ll,

Tiffany said...


You are doing the right thing!! Don't even hesitate for one minute when someone questions you. Your family is blessing and providing for the orphan and your blog blesses us who read it.

We have eleven children, two through adoption. We have our skeptics and our cheerleaders..but the most important thing is we have our Lord. If it were all easy we sure wouldn't need to depend on Him.

So glad you are taking the road less traveled!


Yvette said...

My newest favorite saying is "Just because YOU can't imagine doesn't mean it's wrong!"

Super congrats to you

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...



SOOO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!! GOD KNOWS!!! HE KNOWS and is THRILLED for your family that you are following HIM and worrying about what others mights say! Life is not life until we give it to God!

Ginger said...

You adopt because you love love love Jesus. You adopt because you are HIS. You adopt because before you were a twinkle in your parents' eyes HE formed you exactly for HIS purposes. You adopt because you know what is important in life. You adopt because you are love, and love is you!

Holly said...

Congratulations, Jean!! Praise the Lord for bursting at the seams quivers full of arrows! : )

Jboo said...

Congratulations!! Bless your heart! Happy Mother's Day --enjoy!

nicole said...

well put!
i am a friend of laura jones and have been a blog stalker of your for some time.
put a number on how may kids your family is blessed with??? silly.
we are getting called crazy for starting foster when we have only five.
i think your family, mission, life, calling is amazing and ur my hero :-)

Janice Willis said...

I just stumbled onto your blog the other day - but I couldn't agree more with all the comments already posted- who are we to say enough - God is so much bigger than we can fathom - and He is the provider - I love seeing your family and it inspires my husband and I (currently on our first adoption journey but God willing not the last) what an amazing family you have!!! God bless you all and the journey ahead as a family molded by God!

Wendy said...

Congratulations Jean! It is a shame that others even would negatively judge your motives. Your children look so happy in pics and your blog always sounds so energetic. I am so happy there is going to be one less child in an orphanage...all because you and Jim are following what God wants you to do. God bless you and your family and God keep you safe.

LaRita said...

I so admire you and your family. I know you will listen to God in all you do and not to man. Didn't everyone think Jesus and his followers were completely crazy? In this, crazy is wonderful! I'll be watching your progress! Who knows, maybe we'll meet up in China when I get my new little darling!

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh that last picture made me tear up a can just feel the love!

Candice said...

Looks like there is a perfect spot for her right where that purple teddy bear is! Mia will be so blessed to be part of your family.

someday I hope to meet you and your children when i'm in the cites. Adoption is my heart and I am so encouraged by your obedience to the call of God on your life. I hope to a do the same some day with kids from other parts of the world.

Kath said...

With love all things are possible and certainly you and your family thrive as evidenced by the love that surrounds you each day. Your family is simply courageous and willing to believe that with God all things are possible. One day at a time, one day at a time! Pure goodness in your heart, I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Machell said...


Thank you so much for this post. We too have some of the same comments that I'm sure you have about adopting. I love that y'all are adding another child to your family. I hope to add another child also. I would not trade my life for anything. I'm just thankful that God has allowed us to adopt ... we have been truely blessed.

Jennifer said...

So, so, sooooo, excited for you guys!!! Sadly, I just realized you were adopting brain is in a pre-travel adoption fog. :) You and your husband are wonderful examples and such inspirations!!! God is working through you and glory to be Him!!! :)