Friday, October 4, 2013

For Goodness Sake. . .They're Children. . .Part 1

God has truly blessed us and we are so thankful to HIM!

He has turned an ugly situation into HIS perfect plan!
How could I have ever doubted Him!
As this story unfolds you will see how good our GOD is!

We have experienced hate, anger, discrimination, verbal abuse and racism.
We have been bullied, heckled, threatened, yelled at and cursed at. Fists have been waved in our direction and they have paced back and forth in front of our home while yelling words of hate.

They have targeted our children as well as us.

They have stood in front of our home and yelled-

"You have HIV in there,
You have Hep B in there,
You're going down,
You're out of control 
(BTW I don't think it's us that is out of control),
You have no idea what you brought to this country.
 I will do everything possible to stop your next adoption,
Those boys will never come home,
I'm filing charges against you and your child,
You're scum."

(Unfortunately all of the above is factually accurate. I wish it wasn't so...)

It is shameful what they have tried to do to our family.

Why am I posting about this?
To feel the needed support of others that have chosen a similar lifestyle.
To get support from others that respect our decision to bring home the children and our belief that every child should have a family.
To teach others that people should not be judged by their  disability whether it is visible or not.
To teach others that God created every one equal and that one person is not more worthy than another.
To diminish fear of certain medical diagnosis and promote education.

To warn others that hate, discrimination, abuse and racism are alive and well in America and it cannot be tolerated.
To support others that may be going through similar circumstances.
And most importantly-
To glorify God and to serve HIM.

My Husband and I are adults.
We know that some people will like us and some people will not.
That's okay.

But when the hate spills over to the children-
that's when we stand up and say

On February 26th, 2013 I posted on
 "Adopting HIV"
and another time I posted about manageable special needs including Heb B.
I also told my neighbor it would be good for her to get the children immunized.
Sometimes our children would play together.

I do not regret posting on
"Adopting HIV".
If even one person learned something it was worth it.
If even one more positive child came home, it was worth it.

Some people believe that this topic should not be shared.
We believe in our privacy but we also believe in educating others so they do not fear certain medical diagnosis's.
We don't share who has what diagnosis to protect each child.
Whoever they play with is SAFE, just as the rest of our family is safe. 
We also believe that children with HIV are treasures and have contracted this virus through no fault of their own.
They are victims and it is important to
through hate and discrimination.

They are innocent children.
An adopted child is no different than a birth child. 
When they have a family they are deeply loved by that family and protected by their parents.
Plain and simple-
We love our adopted kids just as much as we love our birth children.
We love our adopted children just as much as 
 love your birth children.
We will protect them from harm.

It seems that a few new readers may have looked at previous posts to gain
information with the intent to hurt us.

We have been advised to do many things to protect our children.
File a Formal Complaint to the MnDHA
File harassment charges
Notify the Media regarding the hate, anger and discrimination directed towards special needs adopted children.
Notify those that advocate for children who are mentally challenged.
File a complaint in regards to the MN Fair Housing Act- our rights as home owners are being violated and they are trying to force us out of our house.
Sue them for money lost on the sale of our home if that is what we are forced to do (it's gonna be a lot of money).
File a complaint with the MN Dept of Human Services regarding the blatant discrimination of individuals with special needs.
Check into the due diligence of the Hippa Law- Anyone that is in the medical or dental profession knows that every individual has the right to privacy in regards to their medical records. 
(I will share with you in the next post how our rights were violated by an individual that has an obligation to uphold profession standards whether she was at work or not at work).

They have violated the 1983 Civil Rights Action as they have parade up and down our street yelling what special needs our children have.

Will we do any... some... or all of these things?
We don't know We are praying about what we should do.

We want our children protected and safe from harm.
We want their rights and the rights of other special needs children to be upheld.

We want to live peacefully and joyfully!
Everyday we want to focus on what is good and what is right.
We want to keep our eyes on Jesus and have thankful hearts.
We will not be poisoned by hate.
We want to love and serve the Lord.

Please pray for us and for our children.

Please pray for the hearts of those that are hardened and filled with hate.
They want to rule by instilling fear and intimidation.
Yet, we are not afraid because we know who is in control. 

Today in school we heard the story of Moses and how he went up to the mountain to pray. He was gone longer than usual and in that time many of the Hebrews decided to make an idol and pray to it.
Their hearts were hardened to God. They broke their promise to Him.

I asked the children if they could think of anyone else who's hearts were hardened to God.

Guess what they answered?

Your right...

Please pray for them...


4kids4us said...

I'm so sorry for the hatefulness. We'll be praying that God will give you wisdom and courage.

sharie said...

I have read your blog each week for the last six months, and you have inspired me! Our family is adopting two special focus children next month. I admire your dedication to your family and to providing a loving home for these beautiful and wonderful children. Please know that your family inspires others, and Satan will use others as a tool to discourage love, hope, and charity. "Be still and know that I am God". As readers, although we may be afar, appreciate your tenacity, love, compassion, and know that at the end of the day, Heavenly Father will tell you and your husband "Job well done. Thank you for taking care of the least of these". Prayers for your family!

Anne Krause said...

I agree with Shari - Satan will do ANYTHING to get a family off course because of adopting. Check out the book, "This Means War" by Cheryl Ellicott. We have seen this within our own family. We have three by birth and three by adoption. Once the youngest two came home from China, the battle began. We have issues with our older children that would have been my worst nightmare several years ago. I still stop sometimes in the middle of my day and am still shocked by what has transpired within our own family. But God is faithful and we will continue to follow Him as best we can. Satan is battling for the souls of our children for sure. Prayers will be going out for your family.....


Alison S said...

How horrible!
They aught to be ashamed of themselves!

Know what my MIL said after we said hi to you at AK? She had thought I had seen some famous person, and didn't understand why I was excited when we were trying to catch up to you. Well she said after she saw all of your beautiful children, that meeting you was better than meeting a famous person because you make a real difference in so many lives.

How can those mean people sleep at night? *shakes head*

B and L said...

So sorry to hear what you are going through. I want to say it's hard to believe, but we know first hand that HARD things do happen once you start adopting children and bringing them into Christian homes. Satan does fight and he fights unfair but He who is in you is greater and He will see you through. Our family will be praying for you guys. You are an inspiration to many.
Bobby and Lona

McChesney Family said...

oh my, I am so sorry that your family have been subjected to hate and anger.
Praying for your family and the angry people.

p.s. I would love to live next to your family

April said...

How devastating for your children. You can remind them the rejection that Christ felt from his own family and on the cross from sinners. He can empathize and HE WILL prevail over evil.
I am so sorry this is happening. I do believe as others have suggested that Satan hates adoption and does fight tooth and nail to pull families apart.
I am praying for your family. If you need to move somewhere, we have a vacant, nice home for foreclosure next store. Although, I doubt you would want to move to CO and there isn't much of a lot size (about 1/3 acre) I would love to be your neighbor. I am sure my wacky neighbors, who don't care for us either for the most part would have a lot of fun with our two families. LOL...a girl can always dream right?

Barbara said...

Luke 23:24 Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do. Words to live by but all those other options you have for filing or suing are also justified not for spite but to take care of your children and to give them what they need and deserve. But they have the best thing of all LOVE.

Klynn said...

Hi Jean,
I have been following your blog since Abby and Luke came home. I have thoroughly enjoyed learning about the joys and struggles of adoption through your family. Your family's love for one another is evident in every picture and word that you post. It is clear that every member is cherished as the gift they are.

It is my dream, Lord willing, to adopt someday. As I said above, you have opened my eyes to the joys and struggles of adoption. . . This post almost seems too much to comprehend. I cannot fathom the hurt your family is experiencing right now. Now is a time of questioning and looking for answers that will honor God in your next steps. ... Just remember that you are already honoring God.

Eleven children, soon to be thirteen, are no longer orphans. They will never face a problem alone again. Your family honors God; and together, with God and with one another, you will all come through this time of trepidation.

No, it won't be easy. And yes, there will be heartache. But you are a family, and God is your Father. Those essential elements will not change.

Thank you for sharing your story. Thank you for sharing God's glory.

Gigi said...

Crazy!! I will certainly have you guys in my prayers. I cannot understand such hatred. They need Jesus! Hang in there. You have certainly inspired me. We have special need adoption on our heart and following you has certainly helped it to seem doable and less scary.

Alexa said...

I can't believe that any person could feel that way! How could someone actually say those things? It blows my mind! Where is their hearts?

I am so sorry that your amazing family has to deal with people like that!

Alison @ said...

Oh, Jean, I am so sorry that you all are experiencing this :( I would not have believed it would be possible in this day and age for people to do that - but there is so much we humans do that is beyond comprehension. And still, I am so sorry :( How sad for your kiddos. I will be praying for you all.

Vicky said...

I pray that God will give you wisdom as you defend and protect your children. It goes beyond my wildest imagination to think of adults acting in the manner you described, yet for some reason I'm not totally surprised!

Thank you for loving and adopting your children with sensitive special needs! I admire you for loving and adopting all your treasures regardless to their need.

I pray that God will surround you and the children with peace and protection during this time!

Kelleyn Rothaermel said...

When you mentioned last week that you were being threatened on your blog, I could have never imagined anything to this extent. I will pray for them and for your family. I am so sorry!

Debbie said...

What century are we living in??? Wish I lived there so I could support you. I know who your children are that have HIV because I saw them on the advocacy site. I would be honored to have my children play with them! In fact, when you are in Colorado for the wedding please let me know if you guys have any time to come over and play!

Hanna said...

Oh l am so sorry, Jean! It is hard to believe these narrow minded and cruel people would do such awful things to you and innocent children in this century and in America! I will be praying for The Lord to protect you and family and that He will give you wisdom and courage.

Mama Ds Dozen said...

Oh Dear Friend . . .

I just want to come give you and your children a BIG hug! I will share this with my children tomorrow, and please let your children know that we are all praying for you all.

I must tell you, that HIV never once crossed my mind when we came to visit. A day or two later, though, I was recalling the little accident with all of the blood, and thought, "Hmmm... wonder which kid has hiv." Then, just shrugged my shoulders. Not a worry at all.

When we brought our 3 children home from Africa, we got a lot of negative attention from a neighbor a block away. He actually called the police on us 6 times in the first 6 months. Seriously. It was sooo..... frustrating, but we stood strong and knew that we had brought these children home because that is what the Lord had called us to do.

Praying for God's peace for each of you. Praying for God's wisdom for you and Jim, in how to proceed. Praying for God's strength, as you fight this battle (which is truly not just against the neighbor, but against the enemy).

Love you so much, and am sooooo... sorry you are all walking through this.

Laurel :)

Karen Twombly said...

I have to be honest...I am so shocked by the horrible behavior of these people in front of you home. I am speechless. I guess I shouldn't be shocked, but I am!
I am praying God will arise from his throne and act of behalf of your family!!

Lori said...

That is just the most bizarre and barbaric behavior, it's hard to wrap my brain around it. How ADULTS could act like that is just WEIRD. Their personal issues clearly run deep. They need HELP and they need JESUS.

Anyway, you know I'm praying! Stay strong and stand firm in knowing that this is a spiritual battle above all, and God is working to make it turn out for good, because YOU love Him.

Love you, sweet friend!

susan nichols said...

I am so very sorry for all you are going thru right now in this area. So many families when they adopt loose friends and family because of it. I see it time and time again and recently did a post on my blog about it. satan hates what we do when we adopt an orphan. he tries so hard to cause division and strife. When we adopted our son, who was born to an HIV positive mom, it about caused a scandal in our small town. It was back when things were so scary with HIV. The nursery workers at church would not even touch him and we lost so many family members and friends thru it all. Just know that God is so good and will turn this for good. As you are doing what God has called you to do and it is Him you are trying to please and not the world. I too am shocked this kind of thing has happened now after all these years. So sad. Your family and children are precious and may God give you strength and wisdom in all you do. Know that we and so many others are uplifting you in prayer over this. And that we also pray for your daily life. God bless the work of your hands and the fruit of your lips. Blessings!

Ali said...

I am so sorry you are going through this. I started following you blog several years ago, when I was trying to adopt a little girl with Hep B. While I wasn't able to adopt her, I continued to follow your family's beautiful journey. As a public school teacher, I can verify that there are American born children attending public school everyday with these same conditions, it is naive of those harassing you to think otherwise. Hold your head up high, and remember that for every ignorant fool attacking you, there are hundreds of people standing with you in support.

Shelia Jacoby said...

Jean, I don't know that I could improve upon what so many have said. My first thought, of many, was "Is this America 2013"? Sadly, it is a corner of it with people with cold hearts. I am praying for a real miracle here. This could be a great story of redemption.

Love and Prayers....


~Monica Utt~ Itty Bitty Land said...

I am so very sorry! I just read that due to the government shutdown, GS contracted priests are being threatened with arrest for VOLUNTEERING to say Mass! Now I hear what is happening to your blessed family!
First, know that I am praying for you and your family.
Second, in addition to what you have stated you are planning, may I strongly suggest that you get a protective order right away, for your entire family. They if these individuals come near your home or any family member, they will be arrested! Please do seek legal help.
God bless and keep you,

ally said...

I sit here speechless at what you have experienced. You are battling Satan but you serve a God who has already won the battle so be strong and courageous!! My children and I will be praying for you. Know that Nashville is a haven for large adoptive families! We have lots of big families who have also adopted HIV kids. We would welcome you here!

Sarah said...

Love you and your family, Jean. Thank you for loving (your children, other children, and even those who hurt you). You are a light for Jesus in this world.

Jillian said...


My husband and I are in the final stages of adoption for a little girl with HIV from the foster care system. The main reason she ended up in our home was because of your HIV post. Seeing your beautiful, happy children gave us the confidence to check the box for that particular special need. We have never been happier.

Thank you for this blog.

-- Jillian

excitedtobeafamily said...

This fills me with such sadness and disgust that people would do such a thing! You have a beautiful family! I can't imagine that people would do this! I hope it is resolved soon. Praying for all of you!

kristine barr said...

I can't believe the awfulness of some people. I will be praying for you and yours fervently. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. April's idea of comparing it to Jesus' suffering and rejection will probably be helpful to those that can understand. Again, I'm so sorry.

just me said...

Jean, I am so sorry to hear this . . . and really cannot imagine anyone being so mean and nasty to the point of picketing your house?! Shame on them! You, you husband and family are true examples of all that is good in this world. While Ally is pushing for Nashville, I'll put in a plug for Cincinnati. We have a huge adoption community and there are several "large" families. I've never heard of anything like you are experiencing happening here. E-hugs to all of you!


Desiree said...

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I pray that the Lord continues to bless you and that you are a light that shines in your neighborhood and anywhere you go around the world. Sending love.

ourchinagirls said...

There are so many ignorant people in the world. When we came home in 2003 with our second daughter from China my husband had all the symptoms of SARS. We were on Good Morning America, 48 hours and the local news.
Our children attended daycare on a very part time basis and the other families threatened to withdraw their kids from daycare just because our children had been "exposed" to SARS.

There is a huge lot across from our house here in Kansas that is for sale. You could build your dream house on it! And you would have six little girls from China across the street!!

Hang in there and don't let them bully you!!

Shonni said...

Jean, I AM SO SORRY, and stunned by this unbelievable act of hatred and bullying. I'm stunned...I guess I hope that adults will act like "adults", and not only that, what hatred they are teaching to their families. UG.
We will be praying for ya'll...again, I am so sorry sweet friend ... my you find comfort in the LORD who loves you and loves your children.

suzanne v said...

This post made me cry. I never post comments on your blog, but now I just have to. I think that you're amazing. Your doing a great job with the children and are giving them a future. Something they didn't have back in China. I love reading things about the children and see how nice the family is they are living in.
The people who are making those nasty comments are just low, extremely low. I'm so sorry to hear that they are bullying you and your family.
Lots of love of Suzanne(from the Netherlands)

Mama Ds Dozen said...

I just shared this with my "at-home" kids. Tears are in my eyes. It truly breaks my heart.

I also shared with them a couple of stories of racism here in our little farming community. My younger kids didn't know that the reason the police used to visit our house regularly (because a neighbor called them 6 times in 6 months), was because we had just brought home 3 children from Africa.

Josiah (age 13) immediately shared the Scripture, "Pray for those who persecute you."

Yes. We will pray for your persecutors, as well.



Emily said...

Love and hugs to you and your precious children, Jean. I am so sorry for all you are going through.


MoserUpdates said...

I'm so thankful for families who are willing to adopt the "unadoptable", those children who are overlooked because of obvious disabilities or health issues. We adopted our son, with CP, and our daughter, with ADHD and emotional issues stemming from an older child adoption, knowing their diagnosis. Our kids are amazing! I truly wish every parent had the blessing of raising a child with disabilities or medical issues!

Jennie said...

Jean, Ignorance feeds the fear and anger. Your children are exactly how God made them - with different abilities and talents. So sorry to hear and will certainly pray intentionally for your family's protection and for the Lord to soften the hearts of those who displayed their anger towards your beautiful children.

Autumn Perkins said...

i am disgusted and so so sad for your sweet kids who have likely had to see the hate and ignorance of others. I am praying for their piece of mind and self confidence....they are at the heart of this and i am just floored that people, in 2013, would knowingly wish to cause children harm.

Autumn Perkins said...

peace of mind and piece mind :)

Becky said...

I am so very sorry that you had to endure that hatefulness. We would gladly accept HIV+ or HepB+ kids into our home. We had that as one of our acceptable special needs.

Keep loving those kids, protecting them, and being an example of Jesus's love to others.

Standing with you,

Becky in CA

EmilyJoy said...

Praying for you guys! My brother & sister-in-law run an orphanage in Kenya and have had several children miraculously get healed of HIV! Anything & everything is possible with our Jesus. :) They're working on adopting one of the little girls who was rescued off the street there. Thank you for extending Family to those who don't have it and practicing true religion. God bless you guys!

sammmomtoliv said...

I am praying for your family. How truly awful. I wanted to write to tell you how profoundly your blog has shaped my own family. I started reading your blog after our second adoption (4 kids total) and -- when the world told us "enough is enough," we would think of your blog and see the beauty of your large family. We saw how you dealt with older child adoptions and multiple special needs. We have since adopted #5 and our adopting #6 (Special Focus, older child) this within the next few months. You have been such an inspiration and a real life example of doing what you know is right rather than following cultural norms. So, although your sharing on the blog has cost you a lot and caused such heartbreak, it has also helped bring (at least!) 2 more kids home from orphanages.
Much love,

hipgal said...

Oh Jean,

I am deeply saddened to hear this. I can't believe people can have such hatred in their hearts - and towards children! It truly breaks my heart.

Your post on HIV led us to add this special need to our medical checklist. For that, I thank you.

Sending positive thoughts your way and hoping for the best for your wonderful family.

Dizzy said...

So sad that you and the children have been exposed to such uneducated and unkind people. Sending strength from Norway as you continue to do such a great job raising your beautiful family.

lizzielou said...

I am speechless and in shock. That is sick and a true product of the enemy. So sorry that you all had to go through that, oh my. Sending you love and a hug. Prayers for you too.

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

OH MY!!!! I am sooooo sorry!!!!! I wish NO ONE EVER HAD TO FACE THIS!!!!! WE too have had our neighbors yell and cuss and say awful and hurtful slanderous things to us. We have had a Court Appointed Special Advocate hate our skin color. We have had more than one social worker say inappropriate things about race etc. We have had to deal with that, and it is UGLY!!!!!!!!

Interestingly enough it has always been about skin color so far and not about HIV or Michael's many other special needs.

Friend I am praying for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cause I GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynda Kroeger said...

Terrible!. So sorry to read this is happening. So many people are ignorant and downright stupid. You should have ZERO tolerance for this type of garbage you are dealing with. Don't handle it lightly (I'm sure you won't). File criminal and civil charges, sue and publicly call them out using their names!. Good luck to you and your family. I will keep praying for you. Lastly, BRING THOSE BOYS HOME!!!

MB said...

Be strong in The Lord and in his mighty courage. He is your refuge. And if you need to move, come to Kansas.

*Overflowing* said...

Precious friend....I am praying for your family right now! The enemy is evil and does not want to see your babes come home but our God alone is on the throne. I LOVE your family....I LOVE that God has perfectly knitted it together...I am proud of you and your openness and willingness to be honest and educate. Praying for wisdom, discernment, and direction as you wade through this ugliness. HUGS and much LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kippi said...

Praying for you - praying that God will give you wisdom in the steps you should take..

Stefanie said...

You are such a blessing to the adoption community, Jean - your courage and transparency have certainly resulted in children finding forever families.
Thank you for being an inspiration to us all. I will continue to keep you in my prayers!

Vickie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vickie said...

I'm so sorry you are dealing with people like this in a place where you should feel totally safe. Videotape them and bring any and ALL charges you can against them. They are in the wrong and shouldn't be allowed to get away with this. Send the tape to your local news channel, do you think they will be proud of their behavior on the 6 o' clock news? A sad, sad country we live in when children are treated this way, precious children who don't deserve anything but love and kindness as members of your family. We've dealt with some issues with our adopted kids and kids on the bus but not adults, you would think they would know better? But obviously not. I'll pray for them, they need it badly.

Emily said...

Pray for those who persecute you. Absolutely do, because they are clearly in need of the Lord. At the same time, what they are doing is illegal and wrong in every sense. There's no need to tolerate it. Fight it...just another way to protect those kids, raise awareness, and stand up for what is right. I'll be praying that our JUST God will fight for your family as you enter the legal process.

kimjax said...

I am so sorry, Jean! We love your family all the way from SC!! You have been an inspiration and encouragement for us at every step in the last 10+ years. They persecute Jesus when they persecute you (remember misguided, zealous Paul) . I feel sorry for them and pray that your precious ones don't pay attention to such rabble. If it becomes too much, you move on down South with Annie H. and me, and we'll welcome you with open arms!! :)

Kath said...

Oh Jean, this is just such a nightmare for your family. I wish we could all come over and parade our support for you and your family. Our prayers will be for you to take the action that is best suited to bring this hatred to an end. Hugs to each and every one of you!

Janine said...

The taunts from your neighbors are vile, appalling and illegal -- you should absolutely file charges against them. This kind of behavior MUST stop.

However, you should NOT be posting private health information about your kids on YOUR blog. Not because HIV or Hepatitis are anything to be ashamed of (they aren't!) but because it is your CHILDREN's private medical information and it is THEIR individual choice to share (or not to share) that information with the world at large.

You've told the world - you've taken your kid's privacy away from them. The genie can't go back in the bottle. Yes, you are the mommy, the kids minors, you have the legal right to disseminate their private information to the entire universe... but you should have the sense NOT to!

Jennifer said...

This breaks my heart for you, for the kids, and for the people who obviously are so hurt and wounded that they are blinded to the heart of God and the love that He offers that they choose to behave like this. Praying for you all!

connie said...

Oh, Jean! I am so very sorry! I have to say if there is anyone who can walk through this with grace, it is YOU! I will commit to pray for your family. I have experienced a limited bit of this, but nothing like you are having to go through. Hold your head eye and keep looking to the Father!

chavafor4 said...

Praying for wisdom and strength for you.

Joy Altman said...

Oh Jean, I am so, so sorry you are going through this. Thank you for keeping your eyes on Jesus and testifying to His goodness.

"No weapon forged against you will prevail,and you will refute every tongue that accuses you.
This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD,and this is their vindication from me,” declares the LORD."
~ Isaiah 54:17

Victoria said...

Jean, I do not know you but my heart aches for you. It is hard to conceive how people can let their heart get so filled with hate. Unfortunately we live in a fallen world where innocent babies are killed before they are even born. I work in KZ with orphans who never get their forever home. Your children and your family are a blessing to each other. You needed one another. Their futures will be brighter because of your selfishness. I pray for God to work mightily in this situation. Out of the hatred may HE bring beauty and healing. May you wee ones be protected from the ugly words shouted. May your heart be encouraged as you are walking through this trial. I can only imagine how it wears on you. Thank you for your willingness to love even when others are so cruel. Keep your focus on HIM for HE will get you through and take care of all your needs. I will keep you in my prayers from KZ.

Suzette Jones said...

Praying for God's ultimate peace and JOY to fill your hearts as you battle. Thankful we know who will always WIN every victory!

Penny said...

How utterly shameful. Your story is so inspiring, and I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. May the outcome be only positive and for G-d's glory!

Stacey T. said...

I am not in your situation....I have one bio son and one daughter from China....but I am humbled by your family. How anyone could do this to you and your husband and children is absolutely disgusting......

Janet and Kevin said...

Jean - I am so sorry for the grief and sadness caused to your family. God bless you all.

Love and hugs,
janet and gang

Our family: said...

Your sweet family is a light in this world. Unfortunately the darkness hates the light. Thank you for your godly example of the Lord and loving on these precious children!
Praying for God's love, light and protection on your precious family!

Eileen said...

WHAT???!!! I can't even believe anyone would do such a thing! That's absolutely shameful. Who are these people? Clearly, they need educating, but it sounds like they're too filled with fear and hatred to learn. Your children are perfect and precious and you all are doing an amazing job. Stay strong. Love is so much more powerful than hate and they'll slink off with their tails between their legs and hopefully realize how very wrong they are.

Megan said...

Gosh, Jean.....I feel a bit naive to have thought that this kind of intolerance and cruelty no longer existed. I'm appalled- and also quite embarrassed- to be part of a community where you've been made to feel unwelcome and ostracized. I stand in awe of your family, and I LOVE seeing you out & about with your children. Seriously, I just can't imagine anyone trying to interfere with the incredible good you are doing in this world. I'm praying you are kept safe and that your children are shielded from other peoples' ignorance and intolerance. It's dissappointing to me that you have to stop and deal with this type of situation. I'm SO frustrated for you. Please know that those people who are targeting you are a TINY slice of the population. I sincerely hope that you feel acceptance, love, and admiration from 99.9999% of the people you encounter. As you stated, you are helping to decrease this type of bigotry by educating others about special needs adoption. Hold your head high and keep up the good fight!
On a happier note- I'm thrilled you had such a wonderful time in Florida. It looks like all of your little ones really enjoyed the (well deserved) vacation :)

TheGreatMiaAdventure said...

Jean: I have followed many of your adoption journeys and my heart hurts after reading this post. Do you regret posting about the kids' medical conditions? If not, please do not let simple minded bigots run you and your family out of your home. Your kindness is wide and you are teaching your children that as well. God bless you & your beautiful family.

Jennie said...

Jean - Forgot to mention that breach of the HIPAA regulation and breach of PII (Patient Identifiable Information)is very, very serious and can amount to job dismissal. Thought I'd mention.

tdurham314 said...

I love your blog and your beautiful family. I am glad God gave you the capacity to love and I feel sorry for your neighbors. We have an adopted child from another country. I just assumed everyone would show love and compassion for her but I was disappointed. I am praying for your family.

Myra said...

i am so sorry for the pain that others hate ignorance has caused your family. I admire your positive response to such hate. We toohave been left hurt and shocked by others response to our desire to grow our family through adoption and follow Gods word and calling to love 'special'children. It can leave you feeling angry and bitter and I found myself. I am trying and praying hard to forgiive and pray for those who hurt us as you so graciously did....thank you for being such a fabulous example and inspiration

Anonymous said...

We have children with all the same diagnosis as yours. We have NEVER experienced the kind of discrimination that you have! I'm SO sorry!! I, like you, would not know what path to take. As wrong as it is, I am a peaceful, non-confrontational person that would be hard pressed to seek legal action.
I always thought the south was more prejudiced but we have been accepted by the schools, neighbors, community, church, and strangers on the street!
I pray that you will find your peace and acceptance.

Maria SA said...

I pray for you och your family! May you receive wise counsel. You are brave!

Love and blessings on your journey,

Mama to three african born Children adopted to Sweden

irene kegel said...

hello you may want to check out this page..they make one of a kind jewelry often using your babies and angel babies foot/hand print.they also just started an allergy/medical line just in time for the school to start , just one more way to make the school staff aware of your childs allergy or medical issue.they make wonderful Paw prints from any pets you may have.Plus they do fundraising for schools.PLEASE SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS

Jessim said...

This is sickening you have to deal with this.

Your children know they are loved by you and they are part of a true family that is the most important thing.

Karen said...

Jean, I have followed your blog for several years. And I see it as a way for you to share your love of Christ through everything you do!! Your blog helps me to keep focused on my job with my 7 children. I live in the same city as the Duggars (19 Kids and Counting)and though their family is different from yours, I do hear horrible things said about them too. "They don't deserve more children," or "God is telling them to stop" or "their children are all brainwashed." As most of the above posts have said, there are many different ways Satan tries to infiltrate our families. I will keep all of your family and also those who persecute you, in daily prayer. We went through family issues when we adopted our 2 girls from China in 2002. "Don't you have enough kids without going and getting more?" We have 5 bio children. I wish we had the means to brings dozens more home! May God bless you and give you strength.

Sammie said...

I am so sorry you are going through this. You are right to share it with us as once it crosses the line and involves your kids so your kids can hear the mean words, well then its a whole other ball game.(which is the whole reason you have posted this)

As a social worker who worked for many years in an AIDS clinic I encourage you to reach out to your local HIV agencies and community. Yes this will mean that you will probably go more public, but at this point you need that support. Your kids need to see a show of force that the people who are saying and doing the hateful things are in the minority and that here, in this country they have rights a protections.

Its also extremely stressful for you as parents to be bearing this burden on your own. I know I don't need to tell you that. My two kids with SN have had their share of hateful things said about them (both of my kids are deaf so they don't hear them) and they were mostly in angry phone calls from neighbors directed to me. I know how stressful this was for me, and I can only imagine the pressure you have been under.

As you know its always fear and lack of knowledge/ignorance, that causes people to react with such anger and hatred, and you are right to pray for them. But when they cross a line, which they have, you need to show them and your kids that this is not acceptable and that you, the greater community, and the law, are there to protect them and allow them and your family to live in peace.

will it mean you will draw more attention to your family? Yes it probably will, but in the end your children will learn that they are loved and protected not just by their family but by the laws and the greater community in which you live.

The people who are being hateful are a small minority, but until you speak up and get some larger legal organizations to back you, they will continue to persecute you and your family, its sad that this is the reality, but I encourage you to do this so you and your family have the support and protection that you deserve and are entitled to.

It was not that long ago that Ryan White and his family faced similer discrimination, the difference is the laws and the knowledge about HIV is so much stronger now, its sad that some pockets of ignorance still exist.

With much love and support,


Wendy said...

I am so very sorry your family is going through this horrible situation. Right now you need all the support you can get. Remember there are people out there who can help you and your family...reach out to them. As a member of the medical community, I apologize for the professional who made a huge error by not keeping medical information confidential. This is a serious matter and this person should not be allowed to practice. It may benefit you to report this person so you can feel rest assured that this person cannot harm anymore children. Remember, there are bad people everywhere and at the same time, there are people who are good and love your family. Jean, we have your back and will be praying for your family.

Wendy said...

I am so very sorry your family is going through this horrible situation. Right now you need all the support you can get. Remember there are people out there who can help you and your family...reach out to them. As a member of the medical community, I apologize for the professional who made a huge error by not keeping medical information confidential. This is a serious matter and this person should not be allowed to practice. It may benefit you to report this person so you can feel rest assured that this person cannot harm anymore children. Remember, there are bad people everywhere and at the same time, there are people who are good and love your family. Jean, we have your back and will be praying for your family.

Sheila Temple said...

WE have four adopted children from China and have had more than a few people tell us we were crazy--don't feel alone, there are alot of us out here doing the coolest things because we aren't afraid of a diagnosis or a prognosis or the process inbetween. Sheila Temple
Author of Chinese Take Out : An adoption memoir and Gotcha Day: A Celebration of Adoption

adoption journey said...

What trials that you've had to endure! I always listen to Laura Story's song "Blessings" reminding me that the trials in this life are blessings in disguise. Without the trials, we wouldn't wish to be with God in the next life. Your post (and I remember asking you to post about the Hep B treatment) absolutely influenced and positively changed our views on adopting a child who has HIV or Hep B. We pray that if the money someday shows up (like it did in 2010) then we'll definitely look at children with those diagnoses. So your pain has brought good too. Although, I probably would get a restraining order at least. They sound dangerous

Susan A said...

(((hugs))) I am standing with you and your beautiful gifts from God.

The Taylor family said...

I am incredibly sad and angry when I read what is happening to you all. I am definitely in agreement about prayer for these people. But, I also believe that you have every right to do what needs to be done to protect your family. I would video tape the hate next time, and call the police. So people have no idea about boundaries, legal or moral. And have to be dealt with accordingly.

We have faced some of these issues, but on a much smaller level. And from those who were close friends and family. I will never understand hate like this towards a child.

Praying for peace and protection for all of you.

Ragena said...

Breaks my heart!!!Never in my wildest thoughts did I ever imagine you were referring to something of this magnitude. SOSOSO glad those sweethearts were able to escape to the Magical Land of Make Believe! Praying for each of you!

Amanda said...

Jean, your family is beautiful, and I just loved meeting some of them in China. For every one person who reacts negatively to your family, there are 10 other people who are inspired and in awe. Glory to God.

Sherri said...

I am truly so very sorry that there are so many cruel people in this world. Look at it, it's full of scum bags and I hate to talk like that, but our world is falling apart and no one seems to care. You have a beautiful family and every time I read your blog, I SMILE! They all seem so very HAPPY and very loved. Some people are just jealous and have to blame someone for their stupidity. God Bless you, and your beautiful family.

Krista said...

WHAT? Those people are uneducated, uncaring and ignorant. I'm so so sorry for this, you and your family are saints.
You can be my neighbor any time!!

Randi said...


Your family has been an absolute inspiration to me. I am so sorry that you are going through this. Praying.

Sean Yarger said...

It's so hard to even believe what I've just read. The depth of some people's ignorance is astounding. The only thing I can say is that you must be doing something right because that's when you are tried the most. You are the living definition of charity and you will no doubt receive a great reward in Heaven. Satan wants you to give up and give in.

As difficult as it is to pursue this legally, you will probably at least need to do as much as can to mitigate the risk of physical harm. The verbal harassment must be grueling, but clearly the people you're dealing with are irrational and who knows how they could escalate it next.

Keep doing the good you're doing. It's worth it. Your purpose here is higher than others. Big families always bear the biggest crosses!

St. Stephen, pray for us.
St. Philomena, pray for us.
St. Jude, pray for us.
All you blessed saints and angels in Heaven, pray for us!

God bless you

Unknown said...

I am so sorry that you are faced with such ignorance in this day and age from narrow-minded, abusive people. I pray for your wisdom and courage and for continuing grace and strength as you go to the Lord to decide how to handle this situation. May the Lord surround you and your children and your household with angels to protect you and your children wherever you go. God bless you for adopting these children with special needs. They are fortunate to have parents who love the Lord and will learn to Love him as you do. And God bless all your children.

Millie said...

Hi, Jean! I'd been following your blog for a couple of year, mostly because I wanted to adopt and I love how real and helpful your posts are. It's so sad that still in the 21st Century we are living under so much ignorance discrimination and hate. I had friends with HIV and its so sad the discrimination not only of them but their family too. My prayers are with you and your family and keep giving the good fight!!!


Millie from PR

Teresa said...

I stumbled upon your blog last week. I applaud you for serving God, and loving all your children - biological or adopted. I will pray for your family.

Heather S said...

I am so sorry you are going through this.

Your blog inspires me to be a better person, every day!

Kathy said...

Jean, I am so sorry to hear what your family has had to endure. I will be praying for you in AZ.

Our Family said...

So sorry that your family has experienced this. We have 2 adopted daughters from China ( one special needs). Your story is heart breaking.
We will pray for your family.

Sammy said...

OMW! People can be hateful and the devil is in them. I will keep you all in my prayers.

Allison Schumm said...

This makes me so ill. I'm so sorry that people are treating your family with such hatred. I don't understand how nasty people can be.

Anna said...

My heart breaks reading this. I am praying that the peace of God reigns over your house and in your hurt. I admire you guys so much and know that your precious children and waiting ones in China were entrusted to just the right parents. I wish you were my neighbors in Texas!

We are waiting for our article 5 to pick up our son in China...hopefully in November.

James1:27 said...

I happened upon your blog today. My heart breaks with the news of what you and your family has endured. The Lord has given you a love and compassion for His children that sadly the world can not understand. Your life is a testimony of Christs love for us. His love for us regardless of our imperfections. Thank you for encouraging me today.

Sun Valley Homestead said...

I just came across your blog. I am so sorry for what is going on. I did want to mention one thing. You said that you told your neighbour to get their children immunized for Hep B. What happens if they don't immunize their children? We do not believe in immunizations and therefore our children then would not be permitted to play with yours? Just wondering?


crzy4myfam said...

As an adoptive momma of 11 and 1 home grown my heart grieves that you are being treated this way. People just are so ignorant and that is just sad. Our family is praying for you all and your situation. Thank you for how open and honest you blog. It is refreshing and encouraging to us that have adopted children with disabilities. Know you are not alone and that many people cherish your family and are praying. Blessings ~ Rebecca

Brenda Fung said...

What a terrible shame.

I would dearly love to have you and your beautiful family as my neighbours. Come up to Canada any time!!!

Take good care,