Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Gifts That Were Not Given...

In early November I begin to think about Christmas...

I love the aha moment when we somehow come up with a brilliant idea!
Personalized banks!
Monogrammed bath towels!
Last years ideas were fabulous!
Functional useable gifts that did not create more clutter!

I had to think and think...
 what can we give the children, the 13 now 14 littles
(plus one more counting our host child) 
that will "work".

First, 
let's define "work" in regards to the children...
gifts they will like,
that will hold their attention,
that will bring a smile to their face, 
something they want and may have asked for.

Secondly,
Let's define "work" in regards to the parents...
Something that will actually "fit" in our home
(a pool table would be wonderful BUT we have no place for it...)
Something that will be used and not just sit there collecting dust...
Something that will give the parents a moment of peace.
Something that won't break too easily.
Something that they may learn from.
Something that is safe for the kids and kind of age appropriate
(conservatively speaking).

I asked Sarah if she had any ideas.
She suggested inner tubes for the kids to go sliding on.
(yes, this is an attempt to put the blame on our daughter...)
Wow, I thought!
What a great idea!
That night I talked to hubby and ordered us...
15 intertubes...
It doesn't sound so bad does it?

But, when they arrived at the house, they just kept coming....
day after day,
one large, very heavy box after another...
And they had the picture of the contents right on the box...
(come on Amazon... you know better...)
So Hubby and I desperately tried to hide 
these multitude of boxes where ever we could...


In the beginning of December we but them in 15 different gift bags for all of the children...
We could only put the outer cover in the gift bags because the actual
inner tube was much to heavy for any bag.
And then we realized...
That we would have to unflate 15 very large inner tubes,
and
once inflated...
it was impossible for these inner tubes to 
EVER make it out of our yard...
The idea of 15 children and 15 huge inner tubes in Sylvia (our sprinter van),
 is not only impossible but completely comical!
We rolled on the floor laughing at ourselves!


And then to top it off...
there was 
NO SNOW here in MPLS at Christmas time!


The inner tubes are still 
in our bedroom,
in the gift bags,
 with blankets over them.
We may return them...
we may gift them in some way...
 we may use a few of them every year
and watch them pop!


Next was the PJ's I ordered everyone.
The holidays were so busy I didn't get a chance to dig into the box.
I was so afraid that I didn't have one for Joy and Y- so I never even checked...


Turns out I had plenty and the children all have them now!


Better late then never!


Next was the personalized ornaments that came one week after Christmas...

And of course I can't forget the nerf rapid fire guns that I ordered for the three little boys.
What on earth was I thinking!
I pictured children fleeing for the life 
from these three little warriors...
First off I had never met one of the kids(our host child),
 that we were planning to give it too.
 (He actually would have been just fine getting it- very mellow child)!
AND
the other two, I know very very well...
and suddenly I came to my senses and realized...
they need to go back into the closet!

I also ordered new Christmas plates to match the set we already have.
Instead of ordering dinner plates I actually ordered buffet plates...
they're HUGE!
(and they were expensive because the pattern is discontinued).
I/we are the worst at returning things...

Can you beat me or match me!
I hope so!!!
PLEASE,
share with me your
gifts that were never given stories!
Misery LOVES company!


9 comments:

Vicky said...

I had two gifts that were given after Christmas. One I couldn't find and the other I forgot about! The funny thing both items turned up in my purse!

Jennifer F. said...

How about two giant disco balls, ordered for each of my tween boys because we were supposed to be moved into our new house before the holidays? They are now sitting in HUGE boxes in the dining room in our rental house because our builder ran off with our deposit. Ugh.

For next year, here's one idea that was a hit at our place and that seems to fit your guidelines (which are similar to mine): personalized photo wall calendars. I love Vistaprint, but I am sure you can make them on other websites. I traditionally make a family photo calendar where we keep track of birthdays, sports practices, etc. My four older kids wanted their own calendars, though, to keep track of days that are special to them (friend birthdays, class events, etc.). This year I made a separate personalized photo calendar for each kid, all with pictures of just him/her. I think I get bonus points, too, for labeling their birthdays, their school trips, etc. Ha!

MayLynne Ricker said...

What a great post. I love it and so funny! You must begin shopping in July in order to have everything organized for December! But I must be really honest...what I really want to see is a post about Joy--where did she come from? How did she get here? How did you do that without anyone in bloggy land having a clue? Is her name still Joy? I would also love to hear if there is a new grandbaby in the family yet.

Jboo said...

Oh my word -- you are too funny and I just imagine trying to hide all those inner tube boxes! :) I've found two gifts in my closet just last week that I thought bought early! OY! And my son told me what to get for the grandkids after I had already bought toys at Target -- so I did actually take all those back and get what they (the parents) wanted the kids to have.

Hope you have a great weekend and get some snow there!

xoxo

MamaFoster said...

We have 8 kids. I only forgot 3 present that were in the back of my car, so that's not too bad lol

Kate said...

Great post. It happens to everyone. Great ideas on paper, but not in real life. Love giving PJs on Christmas Eve as a gift. I shop year round. I know your girls have the American Girl Dolls, maybe you can buy all of the books as a collective gift or take the girls to the store with their dolls for a tea party. New books every year due to doll of the year. Do activities with each child as a gift like a concert for Mia and Sarah. The older boys could go on a golfing trip with Dad, etc. When it finally snows, please let us know if you use the snow tubes. Totally understand the clutter issue.

Jennifer F. said...

Oh, yes, activity gifts are the best! My three oldest (and my husband) got tickets to the new Star Wars film. Easy to wrap. No clutter.

Debbie said...

I buy gifts all year and put them on the basement shelves. This year my husband decided the shelves needed cleaning and gleaning. He found three gifts purchased two or three years ago! The girls loved the little nite light up bugs but they just stared at the play nativity set. I think maybe they would have played with a few years ago??? Do you also order things and forget you ordered them and then it's like Christmas when you open it up and are surprised at what's inside!

Emily said...

I'm sorry...I can't stop laughing. The inner tubes. Oh girl, I can't stop laughing! I wish I could come over and hug you. =) I can't beat your story. However, when I cleaned my craft room last week, I found the ornaments I made for my nieces and nephews for Christmas 2014...and apparently never mailed. LOL!